Sunday, December 11, 2016

Life Update



I'm busy.

Isn't that always the excuse?

I miss blogging. It used to be such a part of my daily life... writing here and reading the posts of friends and strangers.

I write posts in my head sometimes, but I rarely sit down and make them appear on this screen.

And, yeah, I am busy, but I tend to make time for what I most want to make time for. So if blogging is important to me, I need to look at my priorities and see what's up.

For a brief update:

I am finishing up my first semester as a preschool teacher. I have a backlog of picture books to review for you. I like the job way more than I thought I would, though it is not a forever job. I am praying the perfect work-from-home-with-flexible-hours job drops into my lap next summer. If not, I will go on teaching preschool and make it work.

I start back to college in January. I am nervous in a way, but mostly ready to get started already. Once I decide to do something, I loathe sitting around waiting to do it. Currently, I am waiting until registration to be assigned an advisor and told if any of my past credits will transfer to the new school. The idea of starting over entirely is frustrating, and it also hurts my pride. I will admit that. I am a writer with a literary agent, and I don't want to retake Comp 101. Know what I mean?

I am working on a new manuscript. I haven't written a word of it yet. Or, rather, I wrote a few hundred words that helped me see what was NOT my story. Now I am working through The Anatomy of Story and planning as I go. I started Chapter 7 of Anatomy yesterday, and I already feel so much more capable of writing this new tale. I am also scared to write it, because it is so close to my heart. Part of it is set in Honduras.

Speaking of, I will return to Honduras briefly in February. I cannot wait to be there again. My heart aches for that country. I plan to pick up some volumes of Honduran poetry. I've fallen in love with the writing of a poet there. She is my age, Mayra Oyuela, and her words are gorgeous. I also want to read the works of Amanda Castro. Finding the books I want is difficult in America. Amazon has failed me. But I contacted a bookstore in Tegus and they promise they carry what I need.

I have been thinking a lot about who I am and what I want my life to be like. I find myself wanting to finally make this house into our home, buying art and bedding and stuff and also getting rid of so much. I read The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up and I will have to write a whole post about my thoughts on it. Mostly, it has left me ready to not be owned by what I own. So I am discarding things left and right.

I have my theme for 2017. It is two words this year, though I am finding them to be synonymous. I will write more about that soon.

It is time for me to head to The Well for band practice. I'm glad I sat down to share here, this disjointed sort of sharing. I've missed it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me some lovin'!

Disqus for Madame Rubies