Sunday, December 18, 2016

Currently: Going Forward



Current Books: I am a few chapters from finishing The Anatomy of Story. That book make my brain hurt but it is so helpful. I am reading The Souls of Black Folk as an early start on my peace/justice book list. It is crazy how little has changed in the handling of race relations. Technology has changed and the details of what a family's home life might look like, their school, etc... But, over all, in one hundred years, we haven't changed as much as we'd like to think. I just started The Year of Pleasures by Elizabeth Berg for my postal book club. So far, it is a quiet thoughtful kind of read. Last night, I began Return of the River, which is a collection of poems by Roberto Sosa. This book is doing double duty as part of my peace/justice book list but also research for my new manuscript.

Current Playlist: The Liturgists podcast. I get in my car and hit play and then I nod and say amen and say yes and also cry. I have been crying in my car for two weeks. Sometimes I pull over and sob. It's the same kind of crying I did when I first read Searching for Sunday by Rachel Held Evans and throughout anything Nadia Bolz-Weber writes. My soul soars upward to meet the words and my soul finds hope there, hope and peace and acceptance and challenge of the best kind. The challenge to be better, not a better Christian or even a better person but a better soul, a better me.

Current Shame-Inducing Guilty Pleasure: Mello-Yello from the soda machine at work... I rarely drink soda, but lately I grab a can from that machine 2-3 times a week.

Current Colors: teals and creams... soft colors, but not pastels, per se. Peaceful homey colors.

Current Food: A lot of my preschool students brought me Christmas gifts, and one of those gifts included three kinds of cookies. So yummy.

Current Drink: This morning, it is coffee from a travel mug one of my students gave me for Christmas, but it will be Emergen-C apple cider in a bit. I am trying to shake a cold.

Current Favorite-Favorite: The Liturgists Podcast, hands down. I know I sound obsessive lately, but their conversations are feeding my spirit. I wonder if this is how the disciples felt when they first started walking behind Jesus, listening. Suddenly, things were making sense, and they didn't feel quite so crazy.

Current Wishlist: Mostly books: Amazon Wishlist

Current Needs: Stamina... Back to work on January 3rd and then just one week before I am registering for classes and then a day or so later, it is back to college for me. There will be a trip to Honduras tucked in there as well, and I have a book to write.  So, you know, nothing really going on in 2017.

Current Triumph: I got all of my paperwork done and turned in and jumped through all of the hoops so I can go back to school. Also, I completed a full semester as a preschool teacher. There were some weeks I didn't think I would make it. The kids are great, but my depression and anxiety issues can make things more difficult.

Current Bane-of-my-Existence: Naptime in my 3yo class... I am going to do some schedule rearranging in January and try to fix that. In a class of twelve, I have only two that always nap.

Current Indulgence: Blogging right now... I need to be putting together media for The Well tonight. And I will do that as soon as I finish this. I also indulged in a thrifting trip with my friend, Jeniffer, yesterday. I bought jeans and a blazer, and I haven't bought myself clothes in a long time.

Current Mood: Not bad. I am coughing and feeling a bit sick, but I have chicken in the crockpot for our Community Well party and I swept the kitchen while my coffee brewed. I'm looking forward to two weeks off of work, and my new manuscript is promising.

Current Outfit: Grey sweats, Leila's old Southern Miss soccer sweatshirt, thick slipper-socks one of my students gave me for Christmas

Current #1 Blessing: My husband, my family, my home... finding community here in Mississippi.

Current Quote: “There I was, waiting, afraid I’d never experience the kind of joy yet to come, but hoping for it just the same.” -Elizabeth Berg, The Year of Pleasures

Current Photo:
David, after his choir concert

Title from:  “Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ― Ralph Waldo Emerson (((Because, 2015 was Dream and 2016 was Dare and now it is time to go forward with a dream in one hand and a dare in the other.))

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me some lovin'!

Disqus for Madame Rubies