Monday, August 29, 2016

Chasing Dreams on Middle Places



I’ve been learning Spanish for a while now. I’ve been teaching myself steadily since August of 2015, but off and on for a few years before that. I’ve made a lot of progress and also very little, according to your standard of measurement.

Recently, I got the chance to carry on a very broken conversation with my friend’s mother. She is from Brazil, so she speaks Portuguese, not Spanish, but we managed to piece together enough to share a bit about our children and our husbands. I felt so proud to be able to do that, and I also felt horrified at how little I know. Learning something new is fun … and difficult and frustrating and exhilarating.

I love it.

Today I was reminded of how one instance of juxtaposition can teach you something brand new. It’s sort of like an epiphany – that moment the light bulb clicks on, a fuse ignites, your brain buzzes, smiles, sparks to attention.

CONTINUE READING ON MIDDLE PLACES

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me some lovin'!

Disqus for Madame Rubies