Wednesday, June 22, 2016

Breaking Down Racial Walls on Middle Places


In fifth grade, I had two favorite songs. “You Ain’t Woman Enough” by Loretta Lynn and “Color Blind” by En Vogue.
I never claimed to be normal.
In my after school drama class, we did a unit on lip syncing, and I performed “Color Blind.” I knew every word and I’m sure I thought I had smooth dance moves as well. That song exemplified what I believed about race as a small child.
Recently, I heard the song again. I still like the message, but I no longer believe being “color blind” is any kind of answer to the racial problems facing individuals, groups and our nation. I’m not eleven anymore. I’ve grown up.
There are two reasons I don’t want to be color blind when it comes to race. The first is aesthetic. I was walking through the grocery store this week and passed a woman picking up her shopping bags. When she stood and faced me, I noticed she was Asian.
And beautiful.
People are just beautiful, aren’t they?
Women with dark skin, their hair natural or fixed in braids and swirls and loops … Men the color of earth and clay, with feathers and leather, dancing at the White Buffalo Pow Wow I attended a few years ago … Eyes slanted and thin or wide and round … lips full and pouty or cupid bow shaped … arms and legs and cheeks in every color of wood or chocolate or earth …
I love how God created people. Like an artist with new paints, He wanted to use every color, and I am so grateful He did.
But it goes beyond beauty.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me some lovin'!

Disqus for Madame Rubies