Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Book Betrayal


What does the phrase "book betrayal" mean to you?

It is the theme for today as part of #IReadYA week, and I have stared at this screen, debating what to write.

Do I write about betrayal that happens in books? Or how I sometimes betray a book by folding corners and cracking spines and staining pages?

Do I write about a time I felt betrayed by a book?

That would be Danielle Paige's Oz series. I wanted to love it so much. She and I are at the same agency, and she is a very good writer, and I love Oz.

Loving Oz is the problem. Because Oz is my happy place from childhood, reading about it as such a scary place with my good characters turned inside out was hard. I didn't expect that, because I love Wicked (the musical, not the book, oddly enough). But in that retelling, you learn good things about the bad guy. In Paige's retelling, you learn bad things about the good guys.

It was well written. I did want to know what happened next. As soon as Danielle writes something not about Oz, I am joining her fan club.

I just can't handle my safe place, the world that feels like protection and happiness and joy, becoming scary. I probably shouldn't have tried reading it when I was experiencing a highly stressful situation in the first place. But it was about Oz, right? I thought the familiarity would draw me in and help me escape the stress. Instead, I felt betrayed by my once safe world.

As soon as I finished it, I picked up my antique white edition of The Emerald City of Oz by L. Frank Baum. I needed to restore my memories of Oz.

So, if you don't have the strange emotional attachment to the land of Oz that I have, I highly recommend Danielle Paige's Dorothy Must Die. It was well-plotted and creative, and she definitely did her Oz research.

And now you know about my strange attachment to a fantasy fairy world.


2 comments:

  1. There was a series that i loved. I devoured it as soon as the books became available. The last book was so painfully bad. It was nearly traumatic. How could the author do that? I get the right of the author to write what they want but I couldn't pick up another of her books. I was grateful it was the last of the series because I was heartbroken and I did feel betrayed. I even wrote to the author because I felt she needed to know. There was a little more than just a poorly written book - it was offensive. I totally get the feeling of betrayal from a book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the Dorothy Must Die Series! But I can understand where you're coming from. I didn't read The Wizard of Oz until I was an adult, though I loved the movie as a kid, so I don't associate it with the safe place feeling of a lot of my other childhood favorites. So I would probably feel the same way if I read a book about an evil Anne Shirley or Nancy Drew.

    ReplyDelete

Leave me some lovin'!

Disqus for Madame Rubies