Thursday, March 10, 2016

12 Steps, Outrage, and Daring

I will get a "Currently" post up for March soon. Lately, our house has been plagued by minor illnesses. Corey had a sinus infection and then I caught strep and David caught a stomach bug that he passed around. Haydn had the flu and I am just now recovering from that stomach bug David shared with us. I'm looking forward to Spring Break and hopefully starting to feel human again.

In the meantime, I have been writing for Middle Places, as usual, and here are some posts you may have missed:



I did a series of posts on the 12 Steps. You can find those here:

Step 1 and 2
Step 3 and 4
Step 5 and 6
Step 7
Step 8 and 9
Step 10
Step 11
Step 11 Part 2
Step 12



Also, back when everyone was flipping out over Starbucks red cups (or flipping out about other people flipping out), I weighed in on the subject with THIS POST about "the Luxury of Outrage." It finally got written because of the red cup debacle, but it is a post that had been brewing in my brain since I was in Honduras in June of 2015.


Then came January, with the theme of "Daring." I will include excerpts and links below.






Somehow, I didn’t see the movie Love, Actually until this week when someone mentioned the actor playing Rick Grimes on The Walking Dead was also in Love, Actually. I was curious, so my husband and I watched it after the kids were in bed. I have been thinking a lot about daring to love, daring to believe in love, and so the opening monologue felt very personal to me. Especially this part:

“When the planes hit the Twin Towers, as far as I know none of the phone calls from the people on board were messages of hate or revenge – they were all messages of love. If you look for it, I’ve got a sneaky feeling you’ll find that love actually is all around.” 

As I said, I’ve been thinking a lot about daring to love and believing in love. I started because I noticed something about myself. For a while now, I have felt the urge to qualify my Christianity. You know what I mean. Some of you do it too, or else you’ve heard someone else do it.

CONTINUE READING ON MIDDLE PLACES





I don’t listen to music very often, not like I did in high school and college, when every song on the radio had some meaning to me. All of them reminded me of a person or place or event. I dated band boys and swooned when they sang to me on stage or wrote songs based on my poetry.

Nowadays, I rarely know the songs on the radio. I listen to audiobooks and podcasts more than music. I’m not sure when that happened, but it did.

CONTINUE READING ON MIDDLE PLACES





In Genesis 6, we read God is fed up with humanity. The Message says, “People thought evil, imagined evil – evil, evil, evil from morning to night.”

When I read that, I wonder, how much different are we today than the people were in Noah’s time? The world around me feels awfully dark most days, but God has not destroyed us.

The cynic in me says, why should He? We are doing a blasted good job of destroying ourselves. But another part of me knows better. Another part of me remembers our friends, Mark and Lori, working for change in Honduras, building homes and empowering women. I think of my friend Melissa and her family in Papua New Guinea; the unpaid workers at Helping Hands in Tupelo, MS, the people who volunteer through Literacy Midsouth, helping people learn to read and speak English; and the group of friends here in Olive Branch that have started Together Ministry Center.

CONTINUE READING ON MIDDLE PLACES

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me some lovin'!

Disqus for Madame Rubies