Monday, March 30, 2015

Mental Illness on Middle Places



I was a little girl, no more than ten years old, maybe younger. I was upset, riding home from the pool with a friend and her grandmother. What had upset me? I can’t recall. I just remember being overwhelmed and confused. Something was going on inside my head, and I didn’t understand it. 

My friend’s grandmother went inside a gas station and left us in the car. I tried to explain my feelings to my friend, but she didn’t get it. I was crying, sitting on the floorboard of the car, looking up at my perfectly normal friend. Why couldn’t I make her understand? 

I thought hard about how I was feeling. I felt sick, but not sick to my stomach. I didn’t have a cold or anything like that. I wasn’t in physical pain, but I hurt. I felt sick inside my head, and I was a kid with a sizable vocabulary. I could use the word ill instead of the word sick and not think twice about it. I also knew that things dealing with the brain were labeled “mental.” 

I told my friend I was mentally ill. 

Her reaction was less than pleasant.

Continue reading on Middle Places

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing a place for folks like us. When I was a kid and played alone with imaginary friends I called it 'playing with my mental blocks' and wondered why people seemed repulsed instead of getting the humor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Joe. I recently told my oldest son that you have to find the humor in even the worst situations. It's the only way to stay sane.

    ReplyDelete

Leave me some lovin'!

Disqus for Madame Rubies