Saturday, February 21, 2015

Choosing The Next Read



How do you choose what to read next?

When I was a kid, I'd borrow Dad's library card (because it had a higher check out limit) and borrow as many books as possible. Then I would read the whole stack, return to the library and do it all again.

Now I'm flighty.

I read by mood and availability. I have a giant To Read list, but if the book isn't available at the library, it gets moved down the list. I do buy books sometimes, mostly when I have gift cards and for certain authors, etc... But I read a LOT (see last year's list), so I can't justify buying every book I want to read anymore than I can justify eating out every time I'm hungry.

Even scrolling through available library books that are on my To Read list, I often fret. It's the equivalent of standing with the fridge door open, wanting something to eat but not able to decide on anything inside that cold food box. Ya know what I mean?

When I finally do start reading a book, I am usually glad I picked that one. But the actual picking can take forever.

I want to be that girl again. I want to check out a stack of books and then read them all without getting distracted by some other book that arrives in the mail or deciding I'm just not in the mood for the books I picked out yesterday.

Here is an actual scene from my house this week:

Me: (walking into the den with a hardback in one hand and a paperback in the other) I can't decide what I want to read. Do I feel like a quirky- 
Corey: (Interrupting) Left hand. Read the one in your left hand, the paperback. That's the one. There, I made your decision for you.

So I set the Terry Pratchett novel aside and started reading The School of Essential Ingredients. It's wonderful of course. Either book would have been a good read, but I AM SO RELIEVED TO HAVE THE CHOICE MADE FOR ME.

This method won't work all the time. I will continue to be flighty and indecisive.

How do YOU pick what to read next?

2 comments:

  1. Ha ha ha! This is me all the time. I'll try Corey's method. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I often have a list of books I want to read and the first one that is available to check out at the library is the one I read. Makes it much easier.

    ReplyDelete

Leave me some lovin'!

Disqus for Madame Rubies