Thursday, January 15, 2015

Heather the Heretic on Middle Places


Martin tells me they are out of school for December, and he is praying for a good harvest.
Martin lives in Kenya, and we exchange letters through Compassion International. He is the oldest of my Compassion kids and he writes the most often. On Saturday, I opened a letter from him, his thin writing in blue ink on beige paper, a lion yawning from the backside of the note. I read the letter aloud to my husband, sharing in the joy of Martin’s news of doing well in his classes and enjoying learning more about “the Christ” at the Compassion center in his village.
He finished his letter with a question. Martin asked me, “Are you remaining faithful to the Christ?”
My husband and I met eyes over the top of the page. He knows me so well. He knows all of the things I struggle with when it comes to Christianity and the Church. He jokingly calls me a heretic, but he loves me, and he never makes me feel like there is something wrong with me – with how I am currently handling my faith.

1 comment:

  1. I'd love to hear more of what you're wrestling with. Email?

    ReplyDelete

Leave me some lovin'!

Disqus for Madame Rubies