Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Pitch Wars (Hopeful) Mentee Bio

 photo tumblr_mw0qp5HSWO1ru2yklo1_250_zps178addf3.gif

I have been wracking my brain trying to decide what to put in my Pitch Wars possible-mentee bio. I already have an About Me tab you can click on, so what different kinds of things can I put here?

I decided to use gifs.


 photo tumblr_mtyx5qwj581sdo33qo7_2501_zps1c876fb4.gif

You'll be wanting to know what kind of a writer I am. Am I the kind who just wants to get published, writes to trends, etc… I'm not. I DO want to get published. A lot. I have come close to doing so, actually. So close I could taste it (with my previous book and previous agent), but if I never land a book contract, I will keep on writing. I have to. I am not a nice person when I am not writing. My mind needs stories. I need to be reading them and writing them. 

That leads us to revision. Here is how I used to think of revision…

 photo tumblr_mb8w8kPtq41ri5klco1_400_zps8b55da02.gif



Then, I actually revised a book.

And the book got better.

And it was fun.

Stressful, yes, but also fun.

So, now I look at revision more like this:


 photo tumblr_mbeaetZUNL1ri5klco1_500_zps5c1a9e2b.gif


If you have poked around my blog, you've probably learned that I am a youth minister's wife. People often assume that means I write Christian fiction.

They are wrong.

 photo tumblr_mjc3slni6U1reamexo1_500_zps54e3b673.gif

I rarely even read Christian fiction. There are a few authors I enjoy (Lisa Samson is amazing), but they are good writers, not just good Christian writers. Jesus told stories. All the time. And he didn't just hang out in the Temple being all holier than thou. 

So, yes, I love me some Jesus. I don't always love me some Christians. At least not in mob formation. And I am struggling with many issues, with what I honestly DO believe. I try to be open about that. I don't have all the answers. But, I see the good too. I see the group from my church currently working to send 100 Honduran children to school. I see the people serving at our local food pantry and clothes closet, the compassion and love they have for everyone, just like Jesus. And that's what I come back to, again and again. 

Jesus was this smart-mouthed story teller with a heart as wide as the ocean and then some. When I struggle with every other aspect of religion, I never struggle with Jesus.


 photo Bang_zpsb04813b6.gif

I'm not a fan of guns. School shootings scare the bajeezus out of me. So of course I decided to write a novel from inside the head of a school shooter.

I'm fun like that.

Writing helps me face my fears. 

My friend's hubby let me hold his 9mm. He talked me through ammunition and other types of guns and how my MC would pull off her crime. I also spent time at the county jail with an investigator. I sat in an interview room, held the phone in the visitor room, watched an inmate be shackled and taken to court… I emailed the oddest questions at all hours and that dear man found answers, connected me with people who could help, and never batted an eye at any of it. 


 photo WorkOnBook_zpsb05de0d8.gif

Now, I'm ready to get to work. If you want to help, that would be…


 photo Fantastic_zps336143aa.gif


Check out the other mentee bios by CLICKING HERE.

23 comments:

  1. Heather, you are a seriously BadA@!. Impressive lady! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chica, you never cease to amaze me. One day, we are going to book tour together. And it will be amaze-balls.

      Delete
  2. Your MS sounds fascinating. And so do you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. you had me at the doctor who gifs! Great bio! Best of luck in pitch wars!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have to admit, I came over here because I saw you comment on another mentee's bio that your MS relied heavily on Edna St. Vincent Millay. As a HUGE Edna fan, I say: tell me more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of my MCs is obsessed with poetry, specifically Millay. The book's title is Renascence and the clues to the mystery come in bits of Millay's poems. :)

      Delete
    2. Oh man, I would read the HELL out of that. Best of luck to you!

      Delete
    3. Thanks Lise.

      By the way, the mother of the shooter is the book is named Lise.

      Delete
    4. Haha, uncanny. It's not a common name, either!

      Delete
    5. I know. And my CP has an aunt named Lise in her story.

      Delete
  5. Both you and your MS amaze me! WOW Good luck in PW I'm already proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aty. I'm glad I got to meet you through AW. :)

      Delete
  6. Hi there. I love your honesty and your guitar-playing Jesus. As a non-affiliated spiritual person, I totally get where you're coming from in terms of how to live a good life and guns. Good on you. Living the dream -- I hope it comes with a side serve of publication.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I totally get where you're coming from with the religion. I'm in the same boat. (Can we share a boat?)
    Your story sounds fantastic. Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great voice in your post! I love that you knock down a stereotype right away. Your story sounds fascinating, and you obviously did a lot of research. GOOD LUCK!
    -Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, great bio! Good luck in Pitch Wars. :D

    ReplyDelete

Leave me some lovin'!

Disqus for Madame Rubies