Thursday, March 27, 2014

Writing Words

I am struggling with a couple of writerly things in this rough draft. One of them involves major word-cuts. I went to church with my soul churning, not sure how I would decide what to cut and what to keep. 

I sat down on a sofa and pulled out my kindle. I was reading Atchison Blue by Judith Valente and had come to a chapter where she visits the monastery's small vineyard. One of the sisters is telling her about trimming the vines.

  • When cutting a branch, consider past, present, and future. 
  • Understand something of your whole plan. 
  • Keep the roots healthy. 
  • Vines live a long time, but they only have energy enough to sustain, feed and nourish a few shoots well. 
  • Be sure there is enough balance.

Well, hello best advice on revision I have ever received. And the sister wasn't even talking about writing. I'm sure these words also offer wisdom for life in general, but - for me - they were writing words. And I am so grateful God sent them.

Then, I came to this part. It's going to be my motto while finishing this book:




When the student is ready, the teacher appears, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me some lovin'!

Disqus for Madame Rubies