Tuesday, October 1, 2013

The Spanish Word for Cancer



I have been teaching myself Spanish. Not only do I enjoy it, I keep thinking of what I can do with it. Next summer, there's a mission trip to Honduras. I can chaperone the trip and how cool will it be to speak a little Spanish by then? I bet the people we meet on the trip can help me a lot. Immersion learning, right?

I just finished unit 6, the quiz, for Basic Needs on this website: Visual Link. I did pretty well. I can speak and read the words I have learned. Writing them? A little more difficult. I mess up the Spanish spellings. Also, on the quiz, Nikki-Mac decided not to let me type the little accent letters. I hit shift and the menu shows up but no matter how I click, it will not do anything other than capitalize the English alphabet. I also tend to add or omit words. Learning a language is different than the kind of learning I do best. It requires more focus than I am used to giving.

But I love it. I do. I love saying these new words. I look for excuses to practice them. They feel fun in my mouth. A few nights ago, I dreamed the words "tiene que" all night long. It was like a mantra in my brain. I woke up with the phrase still playing in my head. I told Corey, "He, she, or you have to do something, but I haven't got a clue what."

Today, we received bad news. Our sweet kitty, Hocus, has cancer. I have a 9-year-old boy taking breaks from school to curl up in my lap and cry. I have an 11-year-old boy three states away who doesn't know. I get to tell him at the end of the week when he returns home. Hocus is his cat... his therapy cat. I don't want to tell him this news.

So I sit here in my bed, practicing my Spanish. I can tell you "Mi gato es negro," but I haven't learned the word for cancer yet.

Some things, I wish I didn't have to learn.

2 comments:

  1. Oh my, what a lovely idea! I have wanted to go to Italy for so long, perhaps the trick is to begin learning Italian. I would like to learn the word for Cancer since I just found out I have basal cell carcinoma, which I am celebrating, rather than melanoma, which I had last year.

    By the way: to read my entries - 31 Days to Living a Passionate Life, you can find me on the Personal Endeavors Page - #148.

    So great to "meet" you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will check out your blog. Your attitude about the cancer reminds me of a dear friend, Natalie.

      Delete

Leave me some lovin'!

Disqus for Madame Rubies