Thursday, October 17, 2013

Books That Taught Me Something, Part 2



In the Woods by Tana French - Dana suggested I read this series. She raved about the author, so I picked up In the Woods. When I realized it was a mystery/suspense novel, I almost put it back on the shelf. I am SO glad I didn't. I flew through Tana's Irish detective novels like eating candy. I learned that maybe I do like a good mystery after all. Maybe I have been missing out by ignoring this genre.

Quotes from the book:

“I am not good at noticing when I'm happy, except in retrospect."

“What I am telling you, before you begin my story, is this -- two things: I crave truth. And I lie. ”

“Maybe she, like me, would have loved the tiny details and inconveniences even more dearly than the wonders, because they are the things that prove you belong.”


A Year of Biblical Womanhood by Rachel Held Evans - This book taught me so much I could never cover it in a full blog post, let alone one paragraph in this post. You will just have to read it yourself. I will tell you, it is two things that I love having together in a book. It is both funny and deeply convicting. GK Chesterton said a religion that cannot laugh at itself is no kind of religion at all (paraphrasing) and I agree.


Quotes from the book:

“...faith isn't about having everything figured out ahead of time; faith is about following the quiet voice of God without having everything figured out ahead of time.”

“As a Christian, my highest calling is not motherhood; my highest calling is to follow Christ.”

“I have come to regard with some suspicion those who claim that the Bible never troubles them. I can only assume this means they haven’t actually read it.”



No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me some lovin'!

Disqus for Madame Rubies