Thursday, August 15, 2013

Review: The Pentrals




Sometimes the best way to tell the truth is to tell a lie.


That’s what ran through my head as I was reading The Pentrals by Crystal Mack. She creates a world that is simultaneously dystopian and contemporary. I recognize the city of Talline even while acknowledging it’s existential impossibility. I relate to the feeling that who you are can be determined by how you look and that escaping the heavy hopelessness could be worth anything, even swallowing a little white pill day after day after day.


In a market flooded with vampires and fairies and other paranormal creatures, I found the shadows and reflections of Mack’s imaginary world a breath of fresh air. I have never thought from that perspective. What would I see if I spent my life attached to someone else’s feet?

Ultimately, the truth Antares uncovers is the same truth we live with in modern-day America. Instead of distorted reflections in the mirror, we have them on the television and in magazines. Our reflections don’t lie, but our media does.

I enjoyed this novel and look forward to a second installment in the future. If you're looking for your next bit of YA Dystopia/Supernatural, I suggest pre-ordering The Pentrals, due out in November. 2013.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me some lovin'!

Disqus for Madame Rubies