Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Review: Bitter like Orange Peel


I was torn about how to rate this novel. If I could’ve cut most of Ivy from the story, I would have given it at least four stars, if not five. I didn’t like Ivy. She made me vacillate between eye rolling annoyance and head banging frustration.

I loved Kit. A lot And I loved Ailish and even Eleanor. Eydie was awesomeness. I loved her spunk and wanted her to make it. I felt invested in the characters. I kept reading, driven to know each incremental secret they would slowly reveal to me.

At one point in the novel, Bell uses the words, “Thick breaths. Bitter secrets.” I highlighted that. It seemed to sum up their lives so succinctly.

The ending disappointed me a bit. I didn’t understand whether Ailish was correct in what she assumed or not. It wasn’t clear.

All in all, I enjoyed the read. I would read more by this author. She has a way with description that reeks of poetry. Being a poet, those were my favorite parts. I’d have loved more time on the bathroom floor, writing with Ailish.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me some lovin'!

Disqus for Madame Rubies