Saturday, March 30, 2013

This World's Dark Lord

At the risk of bringing out the Harry Potter haters who think the books are the devil, I am going to tell you how HP helped my boys understand Good Friday. If this sentence has already made you angry, it's best you just quit reading. ;)

The boys and I listen to Harry Potter on CD while in the car. We are on the last book and almost to the last disc. It has been an incredible journey, reliving the magic through their eyes. It has also helped teach them some Latin root words. But I digress. What I want to tell you is how it related to Good Friday.

*****If you have not read the books and don't want to know the ending, then quit reading now.*****








As we pulled into the parking lot for our church's Good Friday Tenebrae service, Harry started through the woods and presented himself to Voldemort. He stood before the Dark Lord, prepared to sacrifice himself, his life and his pride, to hopefully save his friends. They could never defeat Voldemort so long as Harry remained alive. He wished for another way, considered running back to the castle and safety. He didn't run though. He knew what Dumbledore told Snape was true, Harry would have to die. Part of the Dark Lord was alive in him, and that part had to be sacrificed.

When I parked the car, I asked the boys if they understood what Harry was doing. They were a bit confused. They love Harry. He's a hero to them, and heroes don't die. Right?

I told them that Jesus had to die as well. Just as the Dark Lord's spirit was on Harry, sin is on us. Jesus took that sin onto himself and sacrificed his life to save ours. Without his death on Good Friday, there would be no way for us to defeat this world's dark lord.

I can't wait for the next part of the story, when my kids get a glimpse of how the resurrection must have felt to Jesus' disciples... for their dead hero to live again.

2 comments:

  1. Heather, first, thank you for visiting Three Way Light and your kind comments. You've got me wondering here.....I'm a teacher (25plus years) and spent most of my classroom time in Christian schools. This Harry Potter business had me up in arms from the first book. Now that I've seen the 8-11 year olds get their hands on it at the public school (where I'm 'just an assistant' now), I can see maybe what the draw is. Lots of symbolism to say the least, good vs. evil and so on.
    Your children are blessed to know the real Lord--that's an awesome story, too.
    Thank you for writing real

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jody! I wasn't a lover of HP until quite a while after the 7th book came out. I gave in and read the first one b/c the girls I led in small group each week loved Harry. Well, I devoured all 7 books in 4 weeks, even with a full-time job. There's a great book called The Gospel According to Harry Potter, and I loved all of the symbolism. Rowling is most certainly a Christian and she could not have written that final book without Jesus sitting next to her computer. An entire generation of children have seen how friendship, love, and self-sacrifice rank high about money, power, and pride. Stories, as Jesus said himself, prepare the way for the good news to be heard.

      As for the magic, it is all Latin. No more magical than the liturgy of the Catholic church or the great writings of Rome. I've come across really great curriculum based on HP. And, most of all, Rowling made reading cool again. It was NOT cool when I was in school and I was made fun of a lot. Now, most teens read. I love it.

      Obviously, I get a bit excited about this topic. I didn't mean to write a whole blog in reply. Forgive my enthusiasm? Thanks for coming to visit.

      Delete

Leave me some lovin'!

Disqus for Madame Rubies