Monday, December 3, 2012

Sunday Poem: Most Broken


What if Mary didn't want
her child to be special?
Maybe she did,
in the beginning,
when the word had only just
become flesh,
but didn't her heart break
when he turned his family
away amid the crowd?
Wasn't her heart pierced
as with a sword just as
the man at the Temple foretold?
Did she not, in that split
second when he met her eyes
and gave her John
wish she could take back her words,
Let it be?
Let this be?
Let this horror, this nightmare,
this ending of her soul's beginning,
this death...
Let it be?

Could I ever be the mother
you are, Mary?
Can I ever look at my son 
at his most broken and abandoned 
and say
yes, Lord,

Let it be.

HT

2 comments:

  1. it would be harder than i can imagine.
    (how did you find that image? that's an oldie :-) for sure)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A powerful poem. Reminds me of a discussion we had in an Advent class I'm taking--about Mary's response to Gabriel and how much choice she had.

    ReplyDelete

Leave me some lovin'!

Disqus for Madame Rubies