Tuesday, December 4, 2012

M Div Done: In Which I Celebrate

Five and a half years ago, my husband started the seminary journey. He'd already been in youth ministry for around a decade, but he had not taken the seminary route. Instead, he had a Christian Education degree from Huntingdon College. He had put off seminary when his first wife became pregnant with their daughter. After a pretty rough few years, we were together and had started our family. We decided it was time for him to go back to school.

When Corey began working toward his M. Div, we had a two and a half year old and a four and a half year old. We were living in Brandon, MS, and Corey was working two jobs. He was the youth minister at a church we loved and also spoke to high schoolers about making their college decisions and succeeding in that area of their lives. Adding seminary on top of this was difficult, but we made adjustments.

In the years between then and now, so much has happened. I love lists. There is just something about precise bullet points. They make me feel organized. So here we go... things that have happened in the course of Corey earning his Masters of Divinity:

  • I went to work full-time
  • Haydn started school
  • I quit working full-time
  • Corey accepted a ministry position in Tupelo
  • He was able to drop his second job (Thank you FUMC!)
  • David started school
  • Haydn was diagnosed with Tourette's Syndrome
  • and Asperger's (High-Functioning Autism)
  • and ADHD 
  • We chose to pull Haydn from public school and teach him at home
  • My sister got married and had two babies
  • Corey's parents retired to a beautiful home in Tennessee
  • I lost 2 uncles to cancer
  • David has made it to 3rd grade with nearly perfect grades
  • Corey's grandfather passed away
  • I wrote a bunch of books
  • I signed with a literary agent

There are other things, but this list gives you a pretty good idea of how much life has changed in the years Corey spent in seminary, driving to and from Memphis once or twice weekly for the last five and a half years.

Our journey is, by no means, at an end. For Corey, there's still more papers and interviews and ceremonies before he is officially ordained as an Elder in the United Methodist Church. For me, who knows how many more rejections will come, how many books I will write before the right book finds the right editor at the right time. Haydn is blossoming in the homeschool environment, but he certainly has a way to go. Still, after two years of therapy, we're reaching a place where I believe he will be okay. He can function in this world when it's time for him to do it on his own.

But, for today, here we are, at an ending that seemed never-coming over the last few years. My boys can't remember life before seminary. My husband has been up until three in the morning writing papers and studying theology for so long... who knows when his body clock will find its new normal. It's good to be at the end. Sometimes endings are sad, but this one is happy.

Very very happy.

3 comments:

  1. Congratulations to your husband and to you, too! I hope the future holds wonderful things for you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have done well. Wonderful news.

    ReplyDelete
  3. HUGE congratulations to him, and to you! I know it's been a long journey!

    ReplyDelete

Leave me some lovin'!

Disqus for Madame Rubies