Saturday, August 18, 2012

“December is the toughest month of the year. Others are July, January, September, April, November, May, March, June, October, August, and February.” Mark Twain

Current Books: I'm reading Tom Sawyer with the boys and we're listening to Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire in the car. For homeschool, Haydn and I are nearing the end of a Mark Twain biography and just started Story of the World Volume II. I'm reading As I Wake by Elizabeth Scott and dipping into a new poetry book by Ursula K. Le Guin and my always wonderful collection of Nikki Giovanni's poems. In my Bible, I'm reading Psalms.

Current Playlist: In anticipation of Tornado rewrites, I'm listening to mostly 90s music and some other songs from the Tornado playlist. R.E.M.'s "Losing My Religion," Aerosmith's "Jaded," Goo Goo Dolls' "Black Balloon," Superchick's "Beauty from Pain," and others.

Current Shame-Inducing Guilty Pleasure: Sleeping in. I need to get into the habit of staying awake when I get David up for school.

Current Colors: bright blue and yellow and pretty much anything happy

Current Fetish: School supplies. I can hardly walk into Walmart without buying a new notebook that I don't really need.

Current Food: Maple Nut ice cream from Kroger. A gorgeously delightful taste on the tongue.

Current Drink: Coffee with a packet of Truvia and yummy creamer. Today, it's creme brûlée.

Current Favorite Favorite: Walks down memory lane with Girlchild.

Current Wishlist: To repierce my nose. I should get on that.

Current Needs: My kitchen floor needs a good scrub.

Current Bane-Of-My-Existence: Tiredness. I ran out of B12. I have it back now, so hopefully this will cease.

Current Celebrity Crush: Can't think of one.

Current Indulgence: I ordered a Nikki Giovanni hip-hop book for the creative writing class I'll be teaching this semester. I can't wait to get it.

Current Mood: Not bad, actually. I'm optimistic about my career and my parenting. Notice, I said optimistic. I'm not arrogantly confident. I trust God's plan, and I am expecting good things.

Current #1 Blessing: My supportive husband, Corey.

Current Slang or Saying: I came across the word "step" in my Senior Book (Class of 2000). Now I say it in my head a lot. "You best step." If you remember this phrase, I *heart* you to bits and pieces.

Current Outfit: Today, it's blue jeans, flip-flops, and a female superhero tee.

Current Link: A lovely poem by Nancy

Current Quote: I say the following to Corey when I edit his papers, and I should keep it in mind myself:


“Substitute 'damn' every time you're inclined to write 'very;' your editor will delete it and the writing will be just as it should be.”  -Mark Twain

Current Photo:  Our youth. Love these kids.


2 comments:

  1. Kroger has Maple Nut ice cream?????? I've not been able to find that in so many years!

    That was my Dad's favorite so that is about all we had growing up. Not only is it good, but to me, it is nostalgic.

    Have to check out the Kroger here and see if they have it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Nikki Giovanni--one of my favorites! I had the pleasure of going to one of her readings years ago, and it was amazing.

    ReplyDelete

Leave me some lovin'!

Disqus for Madame Rubies