Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Currently: Fly High in July

Current Books: I am about halfway through Mary, Called Magdalene by Margaret George. The boys and I are reading Merits of Mischief: The Bad Apple together, and I am nearing the end of my read-thru of Job in the Bible. In the car, we just finished listening to Martin the Warrior by Brian Jacques.

Current Playlist: A mix of this and that. I am in love with "The Shape of Us" by Ian Britt.

Current Shame-Inducing Guilty Pleasure: I bought a bag I didn't really NEED, though I justified it as a need for our upcoming trip. I did need a suitcase, and I found a $400 bag for $80 at Ross, but I did not NEED a new purse. Well, the bag ended up being the kind that cannot handle my heavy load (buying a Kindle has not ended my need to carry multiple volumes everywhere I go). I had already trashed the tags, so it is a wash. I will find someone who likes it and doesn't carry fifty pounds of books.

Current Colors: Orange and gray. That would be my sister's fault. I tend to pick up color-attractions from Carrie and also from Leila. Perhaps it is a subconscious effort to be more like them. Carrie has a sense of style and self-assurance that I have lacked. Leila has a serenity of home and mind that I envy. I think Carrie's love of orange and gray illustrates that sense of rightness and Leila's love of all things aqua/teal is a perfect manifestation of the peace I see in her.

Current Fetish: Baking bread. I bought a refurbished Kitchen Aid mixer. She is candy apple green, and her name is Joyce. Joyce and I have made cookies, pancakes, 2 loaves of gluten-free bread, one loaf of honey wheat bread and a few other things. It has only been a week, and I love her to the moon and back. Joyce is my grandmother's name. She passed away when I was 8 months pregnant with Haydn. Her kitchen was my first experience of loving food and loving how it is made. I think of her a lot when I am cooking.

Current Food: Homemade bread

Current Drink: *fan girl squeal* Manzana Lift! I had it in Mexico when I was 16. I sneaked one back across the border and into my daddy's fridge. It was meant for my high school graduation. However, my stepmother cleaned out the fridge and trashed my drink. Not with evil intent; she had no idea what it even was. I have searched for the drink for the last 14 years. I couldn't remember the name, just that it was apple flavor and bottled by Coke. One of the college girls I know was over last week, and I mentioned my soda. She is Mexican and knew exactly what I was looking for. She pointed me to a Texaco here in Tupelo, and I have my soda again. I limited myself to two bottles. I drank one immediately and am having one right now. If I keep too many on hand, I will drink them. And I have been 99% off of soda for a while now. Limiting my intake also makes the occasional Manzana Lift even more special. *swoon*

Current Favorite Favorite: Being in my kitchen with dough pounding away in the mixer and flour all over my hands and jeans... Who knew I could be so domestic?

Current Wishlist: A handful of kitchen items. Can I have a shower 10.5 years after the wedding? There is a purse I want at Ross, but I won't let myself buy it after the epic fail of my last purse purchase. A writing retreat to work on the new book (working title: Let Them Eat Cake).

Current Needs: A couple of crowns (dental, not royal), to make a decision about my current book's secondary setting...

Current Triumph: At long last, I have a literary agent, and he loves my writing. The euphoria of this has not worn off.

Current Bane-of-my-Existence: Bad attitudes... mine and those belonging to my children.

Current Celebrity Crush: Nada

Current Indulgence: Homemade iced coffee daily

Current Mood: I'm in a lovely mood. By this time Saturday, I will be in the land of 70 degree summer.

Current #1 Blessing: My family is safe after a rash of violent storms ripped through eastern Kentucky this week. And two friends are keeping my boys while I go to Seattle with the youth. Y'all pray for Jen and Lee Anne.

Current Slang or Saying: I say the phrase "my agent" a lot. It is still a novelty.

Current Outfit: Comfy jeans and my Kentucky t-shirt

Current Link: Sorghum Molasses bread recipe... I have finally found a sandwich bread recipe that Haydn likes. It smells like gingerbread when it is baking.

Current Quote“The greatest compliment that was ever paid me was when one asked me what I thought, and attended to my answer.”  - Henry David Thoreau


Current Photo:  My first homemade loaf of bread (other than gluten-free)

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on getting a literary agent! That is wonderful!

    The bread looks delicious. I can almost smell it over the computer! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Leave me some lovin'!

Disqus for Madame Rubies