Thursday, July 5, 2012

Bites and Bread



Last week, I tried a recipe for Quinoa Pizza Bites. Haydn loves pizza and would eat pizza everyday without complaint. I thought this would be a good way to get some grain into him without actually making pizza. I could also sneak veggies into these without too much effort. I used EnerG egg replacer and they turned out pretty good. They don't hold together as well as I hoped, and that is probably due to the egg replacement. I have some of them in the freezer for later, but I don't know if I will use this recipe again.




I HAVE finally found a recipe for sandwich bread that Haydn loves. He finished off the first loaf quickly, and I baked a second. I slice it up and store it in a freezer-safe container, so he can thaw a slice here and there. He is spending a week at a friend's house, so I will send a container of bread with him.



The recipe calls for sorghum flour and molasses. Making that first loaf felt crazy. First, I couldn't find sorghum flour, so a friend let me break into her house (with a key) and grab a bag of flour from her freezer.  Thank God for food-allergy friends.  ;) Then, I made a Kroger run for flax meal. I drove home and started making the bread, only to discover I had no molasses. I knew I'd bought a jar at Christmas, planning to make gingerbread cookies. I think I donated it to a food pantry, unopened. So, I made another Kroger run. I was none too pleased with myself at that point. The bread turned out yummy though, and the house smells amazing while it is in the oven.

I made a complete mess of pizza dough last week, so I am choosing to glory in these successes.

2 comments:

  1. Ever since I read this about the pizza bites earlier today, I've been craving pizza so bad. Thanks, Heather! ;) Seriously though, I want to try these!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those pizza bites do look delicious, as does the bread. I haven't tried quinoa yet, but some of the recipes in a new vegetarian cookbook I have includes it.

    ReplyDelete

Leave me some lovin'!

Disqus for Madame Rubies