Thursday, May 17, 2012

Two Songs





Two Songs

I posted on Facebook earlier in the week, and then I remembered this meme. I have really stretched this one out, haven't I? Well, when I posted two videos to FB, I realized I knew exactly what to post for the "two songs" segment.

In 5th grade, I took an after school drama class. Drama as in theater, not drama as in stealing  boyfriends and gossiping about other people's sex lives. I picked that up in high school with little to no instruction on the subject. Anyway... one of our assignments for Drama class was lip-syncing to a song as though we were the performers and actually singing. This would have been circa 1992. 


Some bands/singers that were topping the charts in 1992:

Kriss Kross
Boyz II Men
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Michael Jackson
Billy Ray Cyrus
Madonna
Mariah Carey
House of Pain
Nirvana
TLC
Toad the Wet Sprocket
Arrested Development
Paula Abdul
The Cure
Amy Grant
Keith Sweat

I had a favorite girl group that year, and Dad bought me their cassette tape, which I listened to, hit rewind, listened to again, hit rewind, and on and on and on. That group was En Vogue and my favorite song was "Free Your Mind."



The other singer I worshipped that year? Loretta Lynn. No matter where I live, I remain a Kentucky Girl, and I knew all the words to "Coalminer's Daughter" and "Fist City" and a million other songs.



This explains so much of who I am. A little bit country, a little bit hip hop. It's an odd mix, I know, but I've never claimed normalcy.

1 comment:

Leave me some lovin'!

Disqus for Madame Rubies