Friday, May 25, 2012

Intolerance

We did a blood test on Haydn, to check for food intolerance. He has quite a few it seems, but the two biggies were Cow's Milk and Gluten/Wheat. I have been shooting back and forth between complete panic and self-confidence. After much thought and taking our summer schedule into consideration, I have come to the conclusion we won't be changing everything at one time. I know all the experts say to do so, but those experts don't live in my house, on my budget, or with my Aspie son who LOATHES all change.

Anyone have any idea why Cow's Milk and American Cheese were high on the NO NO NO NO list, but cheddar and many other forms of cheese made from cow's milk did not register in that same category? This baffles me.

So, I went to Kroger, armed with coupons. As it turns out, only one of them was helpful. Most of the lovely gluten free items I had coupons for do contain dairy. Between this and the high cost of such specialty items, I found myself taking deep breaths and repeating, "baby steps."

We have neon stickers that I am affixing to Haydn-safe foods. He is not what I would call happy about the no-milk rule. I bought Almond Milk and Coconut Milk for him to try. And, since peanuts were on his "moderation" list, I also grabbed some almond butter.

We would appreciate your prayers as we start this dietary journey. And, hopefully, I will have some more cohesive thoughts to share along the way.


5 comments:

  1. We LOVE coconut milk! You can cook with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry for this BIG new complication. I prayed for you last night regarding this especially.

    (This may be entirely unhelpful, but here goes: I know several folks who have gotten false positives on such tests and ended up learning as adults that they weren't allergic to things they'd avoided for years. One had been misdiagnosed with a gluten allergy! If this was done by an Allergist specifically I'd definitely trust them, but with such big changes I'd also want to be quite certain! I hope this doesn't add to your stress or dietary confusion. :/)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't hesitate to ask - we were df/gf for years. Cow's milk and american cheese don't go through the same process as cheddar cheese - the bacteria that makes it cheese breaks down the milk. Is Haydn's dairy allergy an actual allergy or lactose intolerance? If he's allergic then no cheese made from cow's milk at all (and maybe some other animal milks) but it sounds like he's intolerant since the aged cheeses are on the go list. If that is the case there is lactaid milk which is cow's milk without the lactose which he should be able to tolerate.
    I always recommend checking out amazon for gluten free foods - they are often in bulk and less expensive there. We like gluten free mama - she has flour, pancake mix and some other mixes. Her pancakes taste just like every other pancake out there. We didn't like her cookie mix though.
    Also, try Asian markets for rice noodles. We have one locally that has all sorts of shapes. It's also a good place to look for lots of interesting GF foods - we got rice paper which looks like tortillas or egg roll wrappers which tastes great but takes a bit to get used to working with.
    I can share a simple cookie recipe that never had flour - 2 cups peanut butter (or any nut butter), 2 cups sugar, 2 eggs, 2 teas baking powder and 1 teas vanilla. Cream nut butter and sugar, add in remaining ingredients. Roll into 1" balls, smash flat Bake at 350 for 10-12 minutes. They come out really soft but cool harder. Add chocolate chips, oatmeal, whatever you want for variety.
    Hope that helps and sorry for the super long comment

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have already used that cookie recipe for years. :) I will try it with almond butter soon. Peanuts are on the moderation list.

      Thanks for the encouragement. We will get there slowly but surely. I don't think we have an asian market, but I will keep my eyes open. Tupelo doesn't have a lot of things I'd like nearby (Target, whole foods, etc...)

      Delete
  4. We live way out in the country so I completely understand. We're just lucky to have a high Asian population. But definitely check out Amazon - it was really a life saver.

    ReplyDelete

Leave me some lovin'!

Disqus for Madame Rubies