Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Gluten Free Pizza

Friday nights are pizza-and-a-movie nights at our house. Family Night, if you will. Due to a wedding rehearsal last Friday evening, we postponed the event till last night. The boys are off all electronics this week, but I made an exception for movie time with the whole family. We watched Tron. I wasn't impressed and neither was Corey, but the boys loved it. Movie aside, I was faced with the pizza dilemma. The pre-made gluten-free pizza crusts at Kroger contain eggs. So I picked up a package of Bob's Red Mill gluten-free pizza crust mix and a box of EnerG egg replacer. I also picked up 2 new pizza pans, because my pans pretty much suck, and I only have one stone. Eventually, I'd like a cabinet full of Pampered Chef baking stones. So, hey Fairy Godmother, get right on that, will you?


Step one: In a large bowl, combine water and yeast.



For me, this involved dumping the entire mix into a large bowl in order to fish out the yeast packet, so I could use another bowl to combine it with warm water. Then, I let it sit for a few minutes. I am anal about timing, so I set a timer for exactly three minutes.

Step two: While the water/yeast is sitting, combine egg replacer with warm water to form the equivalent of two eggs.



I have no idea how this egg replacer stuff works, but it really looked quite a bit like egg whites once it was mixed up.

Step three: Add egg replacer and oil to the yeast mixture.

I did not have olive oil. I used Canola oil, since it has no corn in it. I will be adding olive oil to my pantry soon.

Step four: Slowly add flour mixture to the big bowl and beat on medium speed for about a minute.

The dough got so thick I had to stop the beater and use a butter knife to push all of the mixture back into the bowl.

Step five: Leaving it in the bowl, divide into two lumps of dough. Cover it with plastic wrap and let it sit for twenty minutes.



Supposedly, it was to rise in that twenty minute time period. I honestly couldn't tell if it had risen or not, but decided to go on anyway.

Step six: Use wet hands to spread it over greased pizza pans.



I bought 2 twelve inch pans, but the dough didn't quite cover them. Perhaps I kept it too thick, but I don't think so. Spreading dough is always frustrating to me. Even with wet hands, it tends to stick to me, and I press holes into it, and I could not for the life of me get the edges to look pretty. I am no different from Haydn in situations like this one. If I can't be darn near perfect at something, I want to growl and cry at it instead.

Step seven: Bake it in a 425 degree oven for 7-9 minutes.



I probably should have erred on the side of less instead of more, but it turned out well, and it smelled like heaven.

Step eight: Add desired toppings.



I can take no credit here. Corey used to run a Domino's, so he is the resident pizza king. I bought the toppings and heated the bacon, but he did the pizza building. Haydn can't have beef, so I bought him turkey pepperoni.

Step nine: Bake for 12-15 minutes.



It didn't actually take that long for these to bake through. I was happy to see it looked like a real pizza when it came out. Haydn didn't care for the turkey pepperoni, but it was otherwise a win.

PS Although Cow's Milk rated in the avoid column on Haydn's test results, most cheeses did not. I don't really understand that, but for now I am not stressing over cheese. I eliminated American cheese, and he never ate cottage cheese (those were in the avoid column), but cheddar and mozzarella are currently a moderation food.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me some lovin'!

Disqus for Madame Rubies