Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Food, Books, and Bargains

These are a few of my favorite things...

Yesterday, Haydn wanted to eat apple slices dipped in caramel. This is the only way he will eat apple slices, so I am okay with it. However, the caramel dip is made with milk. I promised to look for some non-dairy caramel and sent him on his way. However, as he left the room, I remembered that I can already make homemade caramel sauce. I have done it multiple times. I thought over my ingredients:

Brown sugar, butter, maybe a bit of milk

Hmmm... I could replace the milk with almond milk. And use coconut oil instead of butter. Right? It was worth a shot. So I whipped up my version of caramel dipping sauce, and it turned out yummy. Thin, but I am okay with that, because it meant he was eating more apple and less caramel. Best of all, the kids loved it and had their apple slices.

Score one for Mom.

We hit up the Goodwill bookstore today. I was hoping to find a spelling curriculum, but nothing worked. I did find one of our favorite biographies. The "Who Was" series is wonderful, and I snagged "Who Was Leonardo Da Vinci" for the boys. I also found a little History of Baseball kind of book and a copy of 84 Charring Cross Road. It has been on my list for ages. I was hoping for a collection of Flannery O'Conner short stories but came out empty-handed on that mission.

Three wonderful books for about six dollars.

And now, home sweet home, where my youngest child complained that the kitty litter box was smelling. So I sent him back downstairs to scoop it. Haydn and I both clean it on a regular basis. I won't tell you Haydn enjoys the task, but he recognizes it as part of having a pet, and he certainly loves our cat, Hocus. So, despite sensory issues that I'm sure make it difficult, he cleans it with little to no complaint.

His brother? Not so much. It will take him half an hour to complete a five minute scoop job, and he won't even get it done all the way. I will have to send him back down to finish later. He stands in the bathroom crying hysterically, gagging and exclaiming, "This is the worst day of my life."

Yes, friends, I have raised a drama queen.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me some lovin'!

Disqus for Madame Rubies