Thursday, May 31, 2012

Doughnuts for Haydn

Doughnuts on Sunday mornings are looked forward to by my boys (and me too, if I'm honest). However, this past Sunday, Haydn realized he would be giving them up. As you can imagine, this was not a happy moment. After church, I began the search for gluten-free and dairy-free doughnuts. I found this recipe and gathered my supplies (including trips to three different stores in search of a doughnut pan).

First off, let me tell you this: I am not a recipe blogger. Every once in a while, I toss something together successfully, but even then I start from a recipe I learned from someone else. I am blogging about my experiences with cooking and learning a new way to prepare and eat food. I will post lots of pictures. I am doing this to share the journey, not to be instructional. There are amazing bloggers out there offering instruction. I am grateful for them. I just want to show you that if I can learn this anyone can. I also want to post my failures and mistakes. I see all of these blogs where people seem organized and capable. I am neither. So read my food entries if you want to commiserate, or if you want to see how a scatterbrained lover of convenience foods tackles some of the amazing recipes already in cyber space.



I had no lemon juice, so I used apple cider vinegar. Also, I used almond milk instead of rice milk, because almond milk was what I already had. I put together the flour mix right before starting my doughnuts and labeled it to use again. Every blogger I come across seems to have their own mix of flours they use as a go-to. Do I need to have a billion flour mixes on my shelves or do I pick one and use it interchangeably?



I texted the hubster while grocery shopping and told him how expensive Xanthum Gum is. He politely inquired as to why I needed such expensive gum? I do not have a chewing problem. I added the tiny bit of Xanthum needed to the other dry ingredients and whisked it all together just like the recipe said.




The recipe was written for a stand mixer, which I do not own. I used a spatula instead, and it turned out just fine.



Then I used a teaspoon to drop the batter into the doughnut pan and slid it into the oven for 15 minutes.



At long last, the doughnuts were pulled from the oven, let cool for five minutes and then popped from their pan onto wax paper. While they cooled, I went ahead and mixed up the vanilla glaze. This is where a tiny bit of corn made its way into the recipe. Apparently, my confectioner's sugar contains traces of cornstarch. 



I skipped the sprinkles. We cut one doughnut into four pieces so each of us could try a bite. They were an all around success. I froze them and Haydn can have one each Sunday. 

YUM!

5 comments:

  1. Try Guar Gum - it's less than half the price of Xantham Gum and it works the same. Not everyone tolerates Guar Gum though. We had no problem with it and would pick it up in the bulk bins at our local Co-op.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Commercial powdered sugar is nearly 50% cornstarch -- that's what makes it "powdery." We have made our own by processing granulated sugar in the blender or in a food processor and adding arrowroot powder/flour (if you really want the powdery effect).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'm sure I will do similar once I get a good food processor. In the meantime, I am more intent on eliminating milk and gluten.

      Delete
  3. Those actually look really yummy. Itriedfried doughnuts at home once and I'll I succeeded in was setting off the smoke alarm - in a high rise, no less. I might try it again with one of those pans. Best of luck with the GF life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My mom fries doughnuts. I may try some GF ones at her house, with her help. Anything I fry at home involves the smoke alarm. LOL!

    ReplyDelete

Leave me some lovin'!

Disqus for Madame Rubies