Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Tagalongs

My week is completely unbloggable. Not because it's secret, but because it isn't mine to share. I am happy to sink myself into a meme or two, instead of invading someone else's privacy. *wink*


Here are the tag rules:

1. You must post the rules!
2. Answer the questions and then create eleven new questions to ask the people you’ve tagged.
3. Tag eleven seven (because it's a magical number) people and link to them.
4. Let them know you’ve tagged them.



1. What did you hide from your parents? A better question would be, what didn't I hide from my parents. Not because I was wild, but because I have always felt that no one could really know me and still like me, let alone love me and take care of me. I was a depressed teenager. From middle school on, my friendships felt precarious (and I can see, in hindsight, I made them that way) and I felt desperate to make intimate connections. I hid my desperation, or tried to. I hid the extent of my emotional issues. I hid my theology... though sometimes I hid those things in plain sight, covering lack with lavish and lavish with lack, if that makes sense. Gosh, this meme has gotten a bit deep, and we're only on question one.

2. Who are your heroes? Nikki Giovanni, Pat Conroy, Sue Monk Kidd, my mother, my husband, my best friends, Kate DiCamillo, Sarah Dessen, Jodi Picoult, Joshilyn Jackson,  Loretta Lynn, my daddy, my baby sister, Ozma of Oz, and the list goes on...

3. What is the most exciting thing you have ever done on a dare? Probably jumping naked into a pool with a friend when we were in elementary school. I wasn't very daring after that.

4. Do you think you are hard on yourself? Yes, I am way too hard on myself. Of course, I am also way too easy on myself. Go figure.

5. What's your favorite flavor of ice cream and why? Ironically, Joanne tagged me in this, and I owe my love of Oatmeal Cookie Chunk by Ben & Jerry's to her. She mentioned it in passing when I was pregnant with David. I suddenly could think of nothing else. Of course, it was a limited edition flavor and after scouring every grocery store in a 50 mile radius, I had to admit defeat. Then, lo and behold, a girl in my speech class (I was in college, not high school, relax) pulled me aside before our final to tell me she had spotted it in the cooler at Walmart. They'd brought it back. I like to think my desperate email begging for them to ship it to me on dry ice might have triggered the re-release. Regardless, it came back and still does from time to time.

6. What is your longest grudge? That's a tough one. I don't typically hold a grudge. I guess you could say I harbor some contempt for a certain group of people who treated me deplorably as a teen, but it isn't an active grudge.

7. What is your greatest talent? I hope it's writing. Within writing, I'd say I can usually take an ugly thing and find the beauty to be had from it. I can often turn an issue inside out with words or turn a phrase in such a way as to give others pause for thought.

8. Why do people like you? Sometimes I wonder... But, really, I'm not sure. Sometimes I am positively startled to discover someone cares about me, takes an interest in my life, etc... If I had to guess, I would say it is because I care deeply.

9. How do you know when it's safe to trust someone? I don't. I mostly go on intuition and sometimes it fails me. You live, you learn.

10. What person in your family would you like to travel back in time to meet? My first instinct is to say my grandmother, Stella, from whom I have inherited my crazy. However, if I stop and really think, I'd have to say my great aunt Fern. I would like to meet her in the 40s and have supper while she regales me with stories from the war. She served in WWII.

11. What were the last 3 books you bought? Major Pettigrew's Last Stand (for book club), Still: Notes on a Mid-Faith Crisis by Lauren Winner (because I adore her writing) and A Grown-Up Kind of Pretty by Joshilyn Jackson, because she is the best and I always buy her books.

I tag: Ashley, Tara, Tina, Angela, Liz, Eula Mae, and Emily

Your questions are:

1. What's the best advice you have ever been given?
2. What did you think you would be doing when you reached the age you are now?
3. What would you do tomorrow if you could do anything?
4. If your favorite author asked you to name their next main character, what would you name them?
5. What is your bedtime routine?
6. What counts as comfort food at your house?
7. If you inherited a billion dollars, would you still want a career?
8. What is the last kind thing you did for another person?
9. What is the last rude thing you have done?
10. What is the first book you recall owning?
11. How many books do you read at one time?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me some lovin'!

Disqus for Madame Rubies