Monday, February 6, 2012

Currently: The Love Month

Books: I am about half finished reading Creeker by Linda Scott DeRosier. It is a reread for me, and I am enjoying it all over again. I chose it to get a better feel for the time and place Linda Sue grew up in. My current book is set in Eastern Kentucky, circa 1950. The boys and I are reading the second Harry Potter. I am reading Made to Crave by Lysa Terkherst, though I have to admit little to no commitment on my part. This is not the time to be making major dietary changes.

Current Playlist: The only way I get any writing done is to don headphones and play instrumental bluegrass very very VERY loudly. In the car, the boys and I listen to The Silent Boy by Lois Lowry.

Current Shame-Inducing Guilty Pleasure: I am still watching Gossip Girl on the weekends. So sue me. I grew up on Days of Our Lives, and this is a modern teen version. Chuck Bass = John Black.

Current Color: Dark purple

Current Fetish: eh

Current Food: brownies, brownies, more brownies

Current Drink: I made the mistake of drinking Mountain Dew at church last night. I slept like poo. Lesson learned.

Current Favorite Favorite: Poetry by black poets. For Black History Month I am reading poetry with the boys before school. My favorite, thus far, is "Let America be America Again" by Langston Hughes. It expresses so clearly how I feel about my country. This morning, we read "Still I Rise" by Maya Angelou. I heard that poem performed by a woman when I was in high school. She had a dance that went with it, and she was gorgeous. Since then, I have loved the poem.

Current Wishlist: a coffee pot. I used to have one, but it disappeared in one of our last moves. I'd like to switch from Diet Coke to coffee.

Current Needs: To make a dental appointment, buy Haydn new glasses, take David to the eye doctor

Current Triumphs: Continuing to plug away at writing fiction. It is a hard year to be doing anything and sometimes I just want to throw in the towel and cry in my loser corner.

Current Bane-Of-My-Existence: Corey's schedule. He has 5 years of seminary behind him and one to go. This semester also includes a hospital course that takes up an extra day each week.  Not to mention, ministry doesn't just quit happening because he is busy. He still has to juggle a whole lot more than 40 hours of church-related work. Honestly, in 10 years of marriage, this is the first year I have actively wished he had some other career. We'll survive it though, and we'll both be better for it. Besides, after 6 years of seminary, when I need to hit the road for a book tour or writer residency in the future, I think I will have earned the time away. ;)

Current Celebrity Crush: The woman who will play Katniss Everdeen in The Hunger Games movie adaptation.

Current Indulgence: Did I mention the brownies? And the watching of Gossip Girl?

Current Mood: Stressed. Is that a mood? I hit highs and lows, like normal, but mostly I am putting one foot in front of the other and moving forward. "Just keep swimming. Just keep swimming."

Current #1 Blessing: Other people, even when I fight so hard against being social and letting others in. I most definitely need community.

Current Slang or Saying: I can't think of anything.

Current Outfit: Dark blue jeans, baseball tee from Target, black and white sweater, painted TOMs

Current Link: Coloring pages made from famous works of art

Current Quote: “I am not only from Appalachia; I am of Appalachia.” -Linda Scott DeRosier

Current Photo:  My niece, Eliza, who called me on the phone last week.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me some lovin'!

Disqus for Madame Rubies