Wednesday, January 25, 2012

30 for 30 - Let the Party Begin

When my parents were my age, they had a three year old. Little me, with my white skin and black hair, their little china doll. That's what people called me back then. I had three years left to be an only child. In other words, my mom wasn't finished having babies. Me? My youngest is seven, and he will be the last Truett baby unless God moves in a mighty way.

Look at me, rocking' my feathers well before the trend.


I don't fear thirty. I am not approaching that number with any dread or trepidation. I doubt it will be so much different from 29. Before I know it, 30 will pass to 31 and 32 and 33 and so on. Or else it won't. Tomorrow is not promised to any of us, is it?

Alright, before I grow morbid...

I blogged earlier this month about my plans for my thirtieth birthday. It will be a busy weekend for my minister man, so I decided to take the celebration into my own hands. My birthday just so happens to fall on Friday this year. Friday is traditionally pizza and a movie for our family. We will be having Papa John's, because it is my favorite. And I get to pick the movie, of course. 



Also, the boys and I will be doing 30 Random Acts of Kindness. Originally, the plan was to do all 30 items on my list on my actual birthday, the 27th. However, timing has worked out so that we started today. I have been baking a lot, prepping baskets of goodies to go here and there. I found the most adorable little mail box shaped tin at Target. We will fill that with yummies and leave it in our real mailbox for our mailman. Haydn and David sorted toys and donated many. Today, Haydn took a box of K'Nex to his therapy office, along with cookies for his two main therapists. I mailed a surprise to a friend today. "Just because" cards are in envelopes, already stamped and addressed. They can go in the mail Friday morning. We have a box of cookies for our trash collectors, if we can catch them in the morning. I will photograph some things, but some are private kindnesses that no one need know about.

All in all, I am having the best birth week I have had in a long time. Normally, I countdown to the big day as though something really amazing is bound to happen. There is no way not to be disappointed when Jesus Himself doesn't part the clouds to present my cake and watch me blow out the candles. This year, however, my mind is mostly not on myself. I'm having fun baking and planning and gathering supplies.

If you want to give me a birthday present, please do something kind this week. Hold a door for someone whose arms are full. Pay for the food of the person behind you in a drive-thru line. Make an effort to smile at the people you pass while doing your routine errand running. Say thank you to the people who rarely garner the notice of those around them. 

May you be blessed and be a blessing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me some lovin'!

Disqus for Madame Rubies