Wednesday, December 21, 2011

And I Read: 2011



In January

We dove into homeschooling, head first.
I made a timeline to track Haydn's biography reading.
It snowed. A lot.
I fell in love with Instagram.
David and I made a storyboard.
Haydn made cupcakes for my birthday.


And I read

The Penlopiad by Margaret Atwood
The Memory Bank by Carolyn Coman
Fireflies in December by Jennifer Erin Valent
Wesley the Owl by Stacey O'Brien
Imperfect Birds by Anne Lamott
Eragon by Christopher Paolini (audio)
Olive Kitteridge by Elizabeth Strout
Little Bee by Chris Cleave
Charlie Bone and the Time Twister by Jenny Nimmo (audio)
The Singer by Calvin Miller
Taking the Mystery out of Learning Styles by Carolyn Morrison
Strangers and Neighbors by Maria Poggi Johnson



In February

My birthday Kindle arrived in the mail.
Owl cake pops came from Elizabeth in Seattle
I was addicted to Dead Like Me, thanks to Netflix streaming
We added Play Dough to our reading time and it helped a lot.
The boys and I joined the confirmation group on a visit to the Episcopal church.
I started my 1000 gifts list.
I met Glenis Redmond and enjoyed her poetry.
I started a part-time job at Reed's Gumtree Bookstore.
Joined a wonderful Bible group on Facebook
I attempted C25K... and failed.


And I read

The Silver Chair by C. S. Lewis
Blue Bottle Mystery: An Asperger Adventure by Kathy Hoopmann
Charlie Bone and the Castle of Mirrors by Jenny Nimmo (audio)
Romeo and Juliet (Wishbone Classics #3) 
One Thousand Gifts by Ann Voskamp
Charlie Bone and the Hidden King by Jenny Nimmo (audio)
Swamplandia! by Karen Russell
The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins


In March

Haydn and I enjoyed painting.
We joined a co-op with other homeschool families.
Corey really pitched in to help with housework even more than usual.
Haydn was diagnosed with Tourette's Syndrome.
The boys and I spent a week in SC.
I was able to meet up with Cheri and Misty in Georgia.
I wrote and taught Haiku.
Haydn turned 9.
Haydn began making Paper Cranes for Japan.


And I read

Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins
Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins
The Lightening Thief by Rick Riordan
The Problem with the Puddles by Kate Feiffer (audio)
Eldest by Christopher Paolini (audio)
Charlie Bone and the Invisible Boy by Jenny Nimmo )audio)
The Willoughbys by Lois Lowry (audio)
Magic's Pawn by Mercedes Lackey
Heart of a Shepherd by Rosanne Parry (audio)
Anne of the Island by L. M. Montgomery
123 Magic for Christian Parents by Thomas W. Phelan


In April

I wrote a poem each day for National Poetry Month.
Found out I didn't place in the essay contest I was so excited to enter.
I spent a ton of time reorganizing shelves at Reed's.
Ben & Jerry's took over my freezer for a bit.
I made cake pops for Olivia's first birthday.
Haydn and I fell for James Durbin.
I spent a few nights at Cat's house. I miss her so much.
We had a semi-seder meal at church.
Shannon and I hauled a ton of water and supplies for Smithville Tornado Relief.
I spent a day doing tornado clean up.


And I read

The Red Pyramid by Rick Riordan
Magic's Promise by Mercedes Lackey
The Sea of Monsters by Rick Riordan
Sitting at the Feet of Rabbi Jesus by Ann Spangler
Magic's Price by Mercedes Lackey
The Heart of Memory by Alison Strobel
Brisingr by Christopher Paolini (audio)


In May

Two of my youth girls were baptized.
I had blood work done, but it seemed to be only stress making me tired.
We enjoyed a staff cookout.
We were all sad to have Andy reappointed.
I got a Droid phone for Mother's Day.
David wrote me a poem and called me "pretty as a curtain."
Savannah turned 11.
David turned 7.
I attempted life off antidepressants.
We took a family vacation to Washington DC.
I visited the Holocaust museum and will never be the same.
I traveled to Kentucky for my Uncle's funeral.


And I read

Sex God by Rob Bell
Walking on Broken Glass by Christa Allan
First Boy by Gary D. Schmidt (audio)
Who is my Shelter by Neta Jackson
The Anti-Romantic Child by Priscilla Gilman
Sing You Home by Jodi Picoult
It Happens Every Spring by  Gary Chapman & Catherine Palmer
The Titan's Curse by Rick Riordan
Churched by Matthew Paul Turner (audio)
The Story Girl by L. M. Montgomery (audio)


In June

I wrote a series of "Who I Am" poems
I got a card in the mail from dear little Olivia.
We attended Annual Conference, and I wrote the theme piece for publication.
I started work on a flower garden.
I missed two many Sunday Services.
We attended a preview service for The Inspiration.
I became addicted to writing sestinas.


And I read

The Gospel of Ruth by Carolyn Custis James
The Prince of Tides by Pat Conroy (reread)
Beyond Smells and Bells by Mark Galli
The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern
Hinds Feet on High Places by Hannah Hurnard (audio)
Savannah from Savannah by Denise Hildreth-Jones
Journal of a Solitude by May Sarton


In July

I redid the church office bulletin boards.
I spent a lot of time toying with poetic form.
I scribbled down the prologue for Sanna of Sarai.
The boys each spent 1 week with their grandparents in TN.
Thought a lot about a dear friend who was going through Chemo.
David attended a theater camp.
I seriously contemplated greed and its place in my life.
Mom and Wayne drove down from South Carolina.


And I read

The Silence Now: New and Uncollected Earlier Poems by May Sarton
The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of her own Making by Catherynne M. Valente
Maps & Windows: Poems by Jane Cooper
Space Vampire (Choose Your Own Adventure #71) by Edward Packard
The Mysterious Howling by Maryrose Wood
The Tiger Rising by Kate DiCamillo (audio)
Hope Was Here by Joan Bauer (audio)
A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle (Audio) (reread)
The Help by Kathryn Stockett
Starring Sally J. Freedman as Herself by Judy Blume
Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury (reread)
The Stoning of Soraya M by Freidoune Sahebjam
1984 by George Orwell


In August

Mom and I went thrift shopping. 
I gave my parents the Elvis Tour.
I reached 2000 on my 1000 Gifts list.
My post on forgiveness was featured at The High Calling.
We had a rough start to the homeschool year.
Corey took the boys to a Redbirds' game.
Stephanie told me to ask God for enough grace for the day.
I finished the rough draft of Sanna of Sarai and began editing.
I joined a new journey group at church.
I got a long letter from Rebecca. I always love snail mail.
Haydn and I spent a night in Brandon.


And I read

Dead End in Norvelt by Jack Gantos (audio)
Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman
The Martian Chronicles by Ray Bradbury
The Magician's Nephew by C. S. Lewis (audio)
A Spell for Chameleon by Piers Anthony
Resurrecting Hebrew by Ilan Stavans
Sisterchicks in Wooden Shoes by Robin Jones Gunn
Rinkitink in Oz by L. Frank Baum (audio)
Tik-Tok of Oz by L. Frank Baum (audio)
Summer Breeze by Gary Chapman & Catherine Palmer
The Patchwork Girl of Oz by L. Frank Baum (audio)


In September

I really enjoyed the Bible reading I did for Companions in Christ.
Co-Op started up, with Haydn and I teaching an Origami class.
I had a language epiphany.
I queried a ton of agents.
I got a nibble from an agent in New York.
Haydn suddenly fell in love with reading.
My boys created a homemade zip-line in our trees.
Haydn and I had a come-to-Jesus meeting.


And I read

The Lacuna by Barbara Kingsolver
The Battle of the Labyrinth by Rick Riordan
Winter Turns to Spring by Gary Chapman & Catherine Palmer
The Scarecrow of Oz by L. Frank Baum (audio)
The Peach Keeper by Sarah Addison Allen
Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs
The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness
The Heart of Haiku by Jane Hirshfield
Make Lemonade by Virginia Euwer Wolff
Paper Towns by John Green
God in the Yard by L. L. Barkat
Big Mouth and Ugly Girl by Joyce Carol Oates
Ozma of Oz by L. Frank Baum (audio)
The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan
You Know When the Men are Gone by Siobhan Fallon
Into the Wild by Erin Hunter


In October

Tried and loved a crockpot dressing recipe, "Thanksgiving Crack."
My baby sister got married.
I got to see Sarah!
I was given 4 tracts in one day.
I started a 3rd notebook of daily blessings.
The Invitation celebrated its third birthday.
Amy's singing inspired me to write.
I switched meds, because the one I was on killed my writing ability.


And I read

Fire and Ice by Erin Hunter
Forest of Secrets by Erin Hunter
Rising Storm by Erin Hunter
A Dangerous Path by Erin Hunter
Whales on Stilts by M. T. Anderson (audio)
The Darkest Hour by Erin Hunter
Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher
Cracker!: The Best Dog in Vietnam by Cynthia Kadohata (audio)


In November

Jen invited me for a weekend retreat at the Glen.
I participated in NANOWRIMO.
I thought of John and Billy on All Saints Sunday.
I was driven crazy by the push for a personhood amendment.
I started working on a children's book idea with Amanda K.
Corey was able to attend the National Youthworker Conference.
I cooked an awesome Thanksgiving meal.


And I read

How to Build a House by Dana Reinhardt (audio)
Maniac Magee by Jerry Spinelli (audio)
Firestar's Quest by Erin Hunter
Crash by Jerry Spinelli (audio)
My Reading Life by Pat Conroy 
Siblings without Rivalry by Adele Faber
Scat by Carl Hiaasen


In December...

We studied Assyria, Babylon, and Greece.
Corey and I celebrated our 10 year anniversary.
The boys and I read Advent devotions that followed Raigan's sermon series.
I sent my dad 18 birthday cards.
I wrote to Nikki Giovanni and actually got a reply in the mail. *grins*
I started two more novels.
I got my theme for 2012 (will blog about it soon).
I ranted about the AFA's "naughty and nice" list.
Corey took me to see Mission Impossible.
I have been terrified that the NDAA will pass.


And I read...

The Great Gilly Hopkins by Katherine Paterson
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J K Rowling
What Happened to Goodbye by Sarah Dessen
Ramona and Beezus by Beverly Cleary
Milkweed by Jerry Spinelli

1 comment:

  1. Can't wait to hear about your theme! And I need to wrote you more snail mail....

    ReplyDelete

Leave me some lovin'!

Disqus for Madame Rubies