Saturday, November 19, 2011

The Reading Life



In my life this week... I have been spacey and stressed out. I am slogging through this section of my book. I was writing to my best friend, and I told her this is the seventh inning stretch for me. I have gotten most of the bones of the story down and and I am hoping for a win. I am tired though, and these last few innings could mean anything. I just need the crowd in the stands to sing a song and cheer me on. I can get to the end, but my brain is pretty much mush in the meantime.

In our homeschool this week... The doors of the living room were all replaced, at last. That meant workers in the house  a lot, which kept Haydn distracted. I am okay with that, though, because he was certainly learning. My 9-year-old can re-key a lock now. How's that for an education?

Places we're going and people we're seeing... We finished up this semester of CoOp. Haydn and I taught Origami and Haydn took a Basics of Drawing course. We missed the award night, due to some bad behavior on the boys' part, but all-in-all it was a good semester. For our last class meeting, we made Christmas trees from origami paper. Very cute.

Things I'm Working On... A more formal bit of science. I am not worried about it, because Haydn spends almost all of his free time playing with science kits or Legos, so he is learning a lot about experiments and engineering. But I want to go over some basics with him. Worksheets on human anatomy, the Scientific method, cycles of the moon, Periodic Table... the head knowledge, I guess. I am also working on organization. My kitchen table and shelves are overflowing with homeschool stuff. I need to sort and purge.

I'm reading... In the car, the boys and I are listening to Scat. I have heard good things about the author, and Haydn is really enjoying it, so that's a win. On my Kindle, I am up to 2 Kings in The Message and am loving My Reading Life by Pat Controy.

I'm cooking... I made a popcorn cake this week. Last night, I made no bake cookies (my favorite). I think I will make an oven pancake for lunch today. I have purchased food for Thanksgiving dinner, as well. We'll have a honey-baked ham, candied yams, green bean casserole, rolls, corn bread dressing, gooey pumpkin butter cake, and a hot fudge pie.

I'm grateful for... safety when we're driving. A teenager was killed in a car accident this weekend. It seems there is always someone dying or being hurt in a wreck. I cannot help but be grateful every time I get out of my parked car in one piece.

I'm praying for... a good visit with Savannah on Tuesday, a week of rest, my boys to quit fighting all the time.

A quote to share...

"...the poets never shout at you when you pass them by. Theirs is a seductive, meditative art. They hand you a file to cut your way out from any prison of misrule." -Pat Conroy

and

"[The poets] also poke you in the eye with a sharp stick and dare you to open them and shed your illusions. Poets are the conscience of the world and like most conscience shoved into a dark corner and ignored." -My Daddy




No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me some lovin'!

Disqus for Madame Rubies