Saturday, July 9, 2011

In Which God Shows Up Just Where You Most Expect Him



Never underestimate God's ability to speak through His word.  It is more than a book, the Bible.  It is a letter and a phone call and a knock on your front door.  Open that door and be greeted by a friend with chocolate fudge brownies and a gallon of ice cream.  

Haydn had one of his meltdowns today.  Honestly, I expected he would.  One of his most obvious triggers happened this morning, and the day was bound to be rocky.  I was vacuuming the upstairs and I could not vacuum in is bedroom, due to the clothes and paper scattered all over the floor.  I called him upstairs and asked him to complete 3 tasks (these tasks are already written on a checklist he has visible by his door).  

Task 1: Put dirty clothes into the hamper.
Task 2: Put papers into the trash can.
Task 3: Put clean laundry into its proper drawer.

Now, I make this as easy as possible for my Asperger's son.  His drawers all have picture labels. No drawer is heavy or difficult to open and close. The system is not complicated.  Yet, he persists with leaving drawers hanging open and clothes spilling forth.  Most days, I use every ounce of self-control not to just clean it myself or throw a tantrum of my own. But he is only required to clean it up once a week.  On Saturday.  Today is Saturday.  All this to tell you, his meltdown had nothing to do with cleaning his room and everything to do with the trigger I mentioned earlier, which I will explain here at a later date.

Anywho, the meltdown ensued, and he has the rest of the day to calm down in his bedroom.  He is exhausted and over-stimulated and his room is (now, at least) a place of calm and very little sensory stimuli.  Tomorrow will be a better day.

I came downstairs, shaken, because his meltdowns have a nasty habit of triggering my own emotional second-guessing of self. I picked up my Kindle and opened to one of the Bible translations I keep on the device. I had been reading Psalms earlier in the morning, and when I clicked open the ESV Bible, it was ready for me, on Psalm 3 (emphasis mine). 

Psalm 3

A Psalm of David when he fled from Absalom, his son .

Thank You, God.  I know You hear me, and You see me, and You are with me. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me some lovin'!

Disqus for Madame Rubies