Thursday, June 23, 2011

And, now...

Some days, I wonder if I am making any progress homeschooling Haydn.  Having never attempted such before, I am not 100% confident yet.  Maybe I never will be.  And, maybe that is good, as it will keep me always striving to be better.  However, a little confirmation is not a bad thing, and today I got some.  

A personal note in the mail from a man whom I admire as a leader and as, well, a man, mixed with Haydn's therapy appointment and friends on their way into town = joy.

Chatting with one of the ladies in the office where Haydn goes for therapy, twice a week, I recalled the struggle reading comprehension was when I first pulled Haydn.  To put it bluntly, he sucked at hearing or retaining what he read.  He just didn't get it.  He struggled to pay attention.  I started reading to him and quizzing him on each chapter.  I added a jar of Play Dough to our read-aloud time.  His scores improved.  Slowly at first, and then he was acing his every quiz.  I printed stories, usually a few paragraphs written by me, and showed him how to read the questions first and highlight the answers as he went.  Now, he no longer needs the highlighter.  

And, it turns out, in order to challenge him at all, the therapist who has been working with him is using the 8th Grade level of reading material.  His auditory memory isn't great, but it isn't awful either.  When he first came home, it was pretty much nonexistent.

It is all worth it.  So worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me some lovin'!

Disqus for Madame Rubies