Friday, April 15, 2011

Relating to Hephaestus




In my life this week... I switched a med, and I have been adjusting to that.  Have to take it in the morning, because taking it at night makes it hard for me to sleep.  Or rather, I don't sleep well.  One of our cats, Hocus, has an infected bit on his belly, so there was a vet trip and I have been giving him antibiotics and pain meds daily.  Also, Corey surprised me with a new washer and dryer.  They are lovely, and now I can dry a load in one cycle.  AMAZING!

In our homeschool this week... I have pushed Haydn to write more sentences and start forming paragraphs.  This resulted in screaming fits, but we survived.  We have one chapter left in the second Percy Jackson novel, Sea of Monsters.  It was good.  Maybe even better than the first. Haydn picked up Eragon to read for Independent Reading.  This shocked me.  We have listened to the audio, but he wants to read the book. Normally, a book that size would intimidate him.  I am thrilled he is trying it. We are reading Greek myths.  It broke my heart when Haydn said he could relate to Hephaestus.

Places we're going and people we're seeing... Another great week at CoOp.  I am always blessed by the other moms and my sweet student, Hannah.  We made a trip to the vet, as I mentioned before.  Haydn enjoyed seeing the African Grey Parrot in the waiting room.  Haydn taught his therapist about origami cranes.

My favorite thing this week was... watching Tangled with both boys.  It was a funny movie.

What's working for us... When Haydn doesn't want to do something, he will try to guilt me with tears or throw a screaming tantrum.  I have started sending him to his room, with his work, when this happens.  He can come down when he finishes.  Amazingly, without an audience for his performance, he does the work and comes back downstairs.

What's not working for us... We were reading Shakespeare's Secret.  The beginning did have some parts that taught us things, but it was getting boring and seemed more about Hero and a cute boy than Shakespeare.  I nixed our reading and moved onto a new biography.

Homeschool questions/thoughts I have... Should I add spelling words to our weekly work?  We do vocabulary words and tests.  It just seems to me that the more he writes and reads, the better he will spell.  Do I need to do a specific spelling lesson?

A photo, video, link, or quote to share... Nations have recently been led to borrow billions for war; no nation has ever borrowed largely for education.  Probably, no nation is rich enough to pay for both war and civilization.  We must make our choice; we cannot have both.  ~Abraham Flexner

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me some lovin'!

Disqus for Madame Rubies