Thursday, January 13, 2011

What Does Snow Mean to You?

We are still looking for a curriculum that fits my needs and Haydn's.  Something that uses the computer a lot will be ideal, as he loves the computer and concentrates best when using it.  However, I need to really work on handwriting with him.  I don't expect perfection, but he does need to learn to put spaces between words and to keep the words within the lines of the paper.  So we are copying definitions a lot right now.  Mostly, he cries while writing.  Big fat tears.  And he repeats, "I hate my writing," over and over.  This is meant to get a reaction from me.  All it gets is this reply," I know you hate your writing. That is why we are working to make it better."  Eventually, he will get it, and we will pull out some of these old assignments and compare.  He will be very proud of himself. And, honestly, I will be very proud of myself too.  

We are still journaling each morning and reading a chapter from a biography.  Right now, we are on Shakespeare.  Haydn is reading a book about Jackie O for his independent reading time (at least 15 minutes per day).  He chose the book.  I am not sure what drew him to that lovely first lady, but he does have good taste. 

His journal topic this morning was snow. However, we have got to work on brainstorming and creative thinking.  Haydn's journal entries consist of only facts.  He told me that all he had to say about snow is. "It's white."  It is hard for me to grasp this type of logical/precise thinking.  For me, the word snow summons not facts, but images.  I see my sweet black kittens walking gingerly across the white powder.  I see David's red cheeks as he laughs and throws a snow ball.  I see the giant heart I made by walking through a clean patch in the backyard.  The word summons memories as well.  It snowed on my 5th birthday, when we lived in the trailer park in SC.  Bo and I tried to make a snowman out of the pitiful dirty ice-stuff.  It also snowed the week I turned 18.  I remember posing for pictures with Jenny and Joanne when I drove them home from school. 

Is it possible to trigger this kind of thought process in Haydn's brain?  Is this a hopeless lesson?

Well, I have a shelf to put together for the play room.  I also need to do some laundry and run the dishwasher.  I promised Haydn some time to play math games on my laptop, so I need to finish up on here so it is free for him.  He is reading about Jackie O, right now, but he will be finished soon.

Everyday is an adventure.

HT

4 comments:

  1. I'm not sure how old your son is, but I think the type of poetic, abstractish thinking you're talking about is pretty unusual in young boys. You can encourage him to be more descriptive-- bust out the thesaurus, find some new fun adjectives. And you can encourage him to think about what he likes to do in the snow, or memories he has of doing stuff in the snow, and write descriptively about that. But I think young boys tend to just be pretty concrete thinkers. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Try some young books that have different snow imagery. While reading your post I thought of Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs where he talks about the snow looking like mashed potatoes and the sun on top looked like butter.
    As for the handwriting - my son is 13 and he still struggles with handwriting and spacing. He would cry and fight and still does some times. The school found some special paper that had really good size lines and spaces between the lines to help him. freeprintable.net has some paper designs that may help.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I took a moment to find it for you. The site is not super user friendly but it's still a good resource http://www.printablepaper.net/preview/penmanship-portrait-A4-12

    ReplyDelete
  4. Will check out those papers. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Leave me some lovin'!

Disqus for Madame Rubies