Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Time 4 Adjusting

Haydn is taking a break to watch America's Funniest Home Videos.  It is his newest obsession.  At least it puts him in a good mood.  One episode and then we have a chapter from The Silver Chair to read. We talked about the Bubonic Plague as we read about Shakespeare, this morning.  That was... fun?  He took a quiz on the first 3 chapters of The Silver Chair, and he aced it.

He did some geometry and also learned a lot about Vikings, doing his Time4Learning today.  I spent some time in the Parents' Forum reading some tips for making the most of their program.  I calculated how many lessons he will need to do to complete all of the 3rd grade activities.  I dropped him back to third grade until we get the hang of this.  However, having done half of a year already, in public school, I don't see that he will need to complete every 3rd grade lesson.  We shall see.  In the end, it really doesn't matter, because he can do third grade until he gets it.  No "being held back," like in public school.  I like that.  

He loves the "playground" on Time4Learning.  Right now, I have it set to 15 minutes of lesson time = 15 minutes on the playground.  Next week, I plan to change that to 20/15 and eventually work him up to 30/15.  But, for now, I am okay with whatever works. 

We did some handwriting practice on a small dry erase board.  He likes that much better, but I still need to work on his writing on actual paper.  Small steps.  Itty bitty baby steps, right Nattie-Pie?

No school yesterday.  Haydn and I went to the mall to replace his glasses.  He lost them at school.  Much less chance of that happening, now.  *wink*  However, I have got to keep him from randomly removing them and playing with them.  Another thing that is just going to take time, I suppose.  

While at the mall, I signed up for the educator's discount at B&N.  It was a 25% off day, so I picked up the latest Diary of a Wimpy Kid book to complete Haydn's collection and got David the first of the Warriors graphic novel series.  I have started allowing them to read in bed from 7:30 until 8 at night.  I am hoping this will make for an easier nighttime routine. We shall see. I also picked up a pretty neat art book we will use for art lessons during the week.

Well, the native is getting restless.  Time to read!

2 comments:

  1. I started using the Draw-Write-Now series for art/handwriting combo lessons for Gabe today. Savannah loves it too. So far so good. And I'm changing our nighttime routine to incorporate nighttime reading too...all part of the tantrum-plan I've discussed over email with you. We shall see how this goes. It's been a loooooong couple of days. *sigh* Love ya, babe.

    ReplyDelete

Leave me some lovin'!

Disqus for Madame Rubies