Friday, January 21, 2011

The Sky is Wrong



Homeschooling has renewed my passion for blogging.  I am overflowing with ideas and theories and I need somewhere to share them.  

The hardest part of teaching Haydn is this: Haydn already knows everything.  I know, I know.  Hard to believe, but at 8 years old, he knows every last thing in the world, and there is simply nothing else that could be worth his time.  I might be exaggerating just the tiniest bit. But, most days, I am not.  You see, Haydn latches onto a theory and decides it is fact.  Then, no matter what evidence to the contrary is presented, he will stick to his belief in that new "fact."  If he decides that jumping on one foot in the snow will cause the snow to stop falling, then it will.  And, if he goes outside, jumps on one foot in the snow, and the snow has the gall to continue falling from the sky, well, he is still not wrong.  The blasted SKY is wrong.  If you want a taste of homeschooling Haydn, invite in the next Jehovah's Witness who knocks on your door and actually talk to them.  Try to teach them about YOUR faith and see what happens.  The result: Homeschooling Haydn.

((I actually did this, last week, remind me to blog that conversation.  It was... interesting.))

(((Do not send me nasty emails. I have nothing against Jehovah's Witnesses.  My grandmother WAS a Jehovah's Witness.)))

It was a week of learning for both Haydn and me.  I learned that, no, I cannot trust him to do his Time4Learning without careful monitoring of each activity.  He was clicking through the lessons without reading and then failing the quizzes.  What he did not realize, was I have access to his work.  When he told me he had completed ALL of his lessons for the day, a mere 30 minutes after he began them, I was suspicious (understatement) and logged on to check.  I quickly figured it out and put him back to work.  He had to read an entire lesson out loud to me to prove he was reading it.  Now, I check on him frequently, and he knows I can see what he is up to, so it is going well again.

Today, I instituted Fun Friday.  I know, not very original, but we needed something to look forward to, and a little break in the daily routine.  Fridays will be less Time4Learning and no copy work, but we will still do our reading and journal writing.  Also, we will try to find a movie that fits something we are learning about (today, to go along with our Shakespeare unit, we watched Romeo & Juliet: Sealed with a Kiss) and we will have art.  Some weeks, this will be a field trip day. 

So far, the most used and beneficial resources for our homeschool are:


HT

3 comments:

  1. YES to the library (ABSOLUTELY INVALUABLE-and I don't have to tell you to make friendly with the librarians because they will help you in every possible way once you do--you know that already. I'm sure)

    YES to netflix! GREAT instant view library for home schoolers. And obviously great library for mail too.

    I'm glad you learning to change and adjust, ebb and flow- that truly is half the battle
    you are doing AWESOME!

    OH AND I was thinking of you yesterday and wondered if you have done Riordens books with the boys already. My kids know more about mythology from those books then most college grads. GREAT books. GREAT stories. GREAT education and on a level Haydn can read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhhhh yes, I too, have a house full of children who know everything there is to know about absolutely everything. I guess kids just get smarter, faster these days, eh?

    And the Jehovah's Witness made me laugh. I can laugh, because like your gramma, my mother once was one. So that gives me, like, a free pass or something.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We don't homeschool on Fridays. I have tried but have learned that by Friday we just need something "fun" like you said. I need a mental break, they need a change so we do just like you said: field trips, a fun day, various fun projects, or just play around the house. I look for coupons fo bounce houses or other play type places, too. We may do a little bit of work to catch up where we might have fallen behind some days, but not a whole day of work like on Mon - Thurs. It works well for us. :)

    ReplyDelete

Leave me some lovin'!

Disqus for Madame Rubies