Monday, January 17, 2011

It's Time For Learning... at Home.

Friday was our first day using Time4Learning.  I love that Haydn worked on his science assignments, without complaint, and even took the quiz on his own and bragged about only missing one question.  This is, by the way, 4th grade curriculum.  I think we are finished with 3rd grade, though I may have to lower his grade level for math.  We'll see.  

I like that Time4Learning takes some of the tension out of our homeschool.  We are so new to this, and he is not used to learning from me all day anymore than I am used to being in charge of his education.  This program helps me feel confident that he is getting all of his core subjects covered, as we adapt to the new situation.  I believe it can be used alone, but I am doing my own lessons as well.

For instance, we are still studying Shakespeare, in preparation for going to see Gnomeo and Juliet. We are reading from The Silver Chair each day and taking quizzes on that. He is required to do 15 minutes of independent reading each day.  I will lengthen this once he gets used to doing it.  We are working on a cat lapbook, because I really want to strengthen his fine motor skills (cutting along the lines is helping with that).  He also writes definitions for two vocabulary words and does some other form of handwriting practice each day.  We will keep with this until I am satisfied that he CAN write well.  Then, I will introduce typing lessons.

I also plan to add a Bible curriculum.  We already read a devotion together in the mornings, along with his younger brother, but I want to teach him more.  One perk of homeschool is that I CAN use religion in my classroom.  *wink*

All in all, I think we are doing pretty well.  He even used a new word in conversation this week, and then he grinned at me and said, "I learned that word."  At that moment, I felt Christ's peace descend.

5 comments:

  1. I'd say you are doing UTTERLY FANTASTICALLY!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If we bring Tae home (long story, really depressed kid here), we'll definitely go with T4L. She can come to the office w/me and work on it here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Dana. I have to say, years upon years of watching you and Cheri and others homeschool has helped me ease into this without fear.

    Gem, so far, I love Time4Learning. I did a lot of research and read a lot of reviews before trying it out, and they are wonderful enough to let me have a month free while I review it. I have a feeling I will pay for it so we can keep it after the first month. It just takes a lot of stress off of me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on your first day with Time4Learning! We've been using it for almost four years now and will be so sad to "graduate" from it after this year. If your experience with the curriculum is even half as good as ours has been, you will be so glad you tried it!! :) I look forward to seeing your review...

    ReplyDelete
  5. So happy you found T4L too! We also have been using it about 3 years but, Thankfully we still have a few more years before we Graduate from it .
    Have you checked out thier forum yet? I love going there and being able to get support from other T4l'ers :')
    http://www.time4learning.net/

    ReplyDelete

Leave me some lovin'!

Disqus for Madame Rubies