Monday, December 13, 2010

On the First Day of Homeschool, my True Love Gave to Me


 Well, it sort of works. LOL!

Seriously, though.  Today was Day One of our homeschool experience.  I promised Haydn we would start slow and simple.  This morning, we wrote in our journals together.  The topic was "Things I Love About Christmas."  Easy enough.  He wrote without complaint.  We definitely have a lot of work to do on handwriting.

Then, we put up our Christmas tree.  We took frequent breaks to read from a book called History of the Christmas Tree.  This taught him some geography, as well, because it was an old book and I had to explain that the Soviet Union no longer exists, etc...  

He spent half an our or so riding his bicycle and then watched an episode of Storm Chasers and told me all about F5 tornadoes.  After that, we went to the Library and picked out books on Canada.  That is the first country he has chosen to study as part of out "Atlas Travel" game. 

Lunch, errands and home to read about Canada.  More outside play time and then inside to look at maps of Pangaea and Siberia so I could explain how people got to Canada to begin with. And, now we relax for a few minutes before picking his brother up from school.

Not too intense, but it was a good day.  Haydn is very frustrated with his own klutziness.  I can relate.  However, he did not lose his temper once, today.  And he never sassed me or used a disrespectful tone of voice.  He laughed a lot and told me stories that he found interesting or humorous.  

All in all, I am satisfied with our first day.

HT

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you had a good first day. Homeschooling is such an adventure! Sounds like you're off to a great start. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it!! Starting easy, taking it slow...that is a fantastic first day.

    ReplyDelete

Leave me some lovin'!

Disqus for Madame Rubies