Saturday, May 29, 2010

Baking Crayons

I like to cook color.
Gather up the rainbows
and peel them like potatoes.


Broken bits,
skinned and tossed
naked
into the mix.


Turn on the heat -
my slow gas oven -
and slide in the orange carrot pieces
with the rays of yellow sun
and each blue bit
of the sky.

Cook them till they melt.


Now, you have to be patient
while the color treat cools.
Then,
I'll snap each swirled pop
of green and gold and glitter
from its casing
and you can use the newness
to create.


Enjoy!

Step 1: Preheat oven to 200 degrees.

Step 2:  Peel broken crayon bits (or break up whole ones, if you'd rather."

Step 3: Fill silicone ice trays or candy trays with the peeled bits.  (You can also use muffin pans, but only fill each cup about 1 inch).

Step 4: Place tray into the oven on center rack.

Step 5: Check intermittently.  I have a gas oven that cooks on the slow side, so it took over 20 minutes for my crayons to melt down.  

Step 6: Pull tray from oven and set on counter to cool.  Some places said to put them in the freezer, but I had no need for that. Also, my tray is shallow and bendy so I spilled some as I pulled it out.  Be careful.


3 comments:

  1. that's so cool. I've seen crayons made like that before but never seen them all melty from the oven.

    ReplyDelete

Leave me some lovin'!

Disqus for Madame Rubies