Thursday, December 31, 2009

And I Read (2009)

In January...

I began the Year of Patience
I turned 27
I began 99 Powerful Questions
Corey was diagnosed with Diverticulitis
Granddaddy became very very sick

And I Read...

At the Breakers by Mary Ann Taylor-Hall
Breath, Eyes, Memory by Edwidge Danticat
Home to Holly Springs by Jan Karon
Servant of the Bones by Anne Rice

In February...

I restarted Disciple I (at 5:15 AM!!!)
I tried to read Anna Karenina
I did a girls weekend with The Fab Five
Corey gave me an iTouch for Vday
David wowed me with a prayer for his Granddaddy
I gave up books for Lent

And I Read...

Coraline by Neil Gaiman
Impulse by Ellen Hopkins
Inkheart by Cornelia Funke
Inkspell by Cornelia Funke
Lost Women of the Bible by Carolyn Custis James
Pretties by Scott Westerfeld
Same Kind of Diffferent As Me by Ron Hall
Soul Cravings by Erwin McManus

In March...

I visited Mama
I went to Ashley's baby shower
Haydn turned 7
I celebrated Purim with friends from church
I visited Brandon
We mourned for Debbie

And I Read...

Three Willows by Ann Brashares
Hillbilly Gothic by Adrienne Martini
Plan B by Anne Lamott
(these were audio books, as I gave up reading for Lent)

In April...

We started "Complaint Free" living (as a church)
Leila and Cat drove up for a day of shopping
We celebrated our first Holy Week with FUMC Tupelo
I went back on ADHD meds
Our church hosted (and I attended) North MS Happening #1

And I Read...

Are You Happy by Emily Fox Gordon
The Chosen One by Carol Lynch Williams
Grace (Eventually) by Anne Lamott
Michal by Jill Eileen Smith
Small Ceremonies by Carol Shields
Sweet Potato Queens Guide to Raising Children for Fun and Profit by Jill Conner Browne

In May...

I spent a weekend in Brandon
David turned 5
Savannah turned 9
I fell in love with Seven jeans
We spent a day with Savannah in AL
We went to Orange Beach
I spent a lot of hours in my "hermitage" at church

And I Read...

The Box Garden by Carol Shields
Father Melancholy's Daughter by Gail Godwin
Love by Toni Morrison
The Sugar Queen by Sarah Addison Allen
Sula by Toni Morrison
Unless by Carol Shields

In June...

I wore my tiara in Nat's memory
I entered a couple of writing contests
My Godson, Caleb, was born!!!
My nephew, Anthony, was born!!!
Lynn's daughter, Anna, was born!!!
All three babies were born on the SAME DAY!!!
I took a week of vacation ALL BY MYSELF

And I Read...

Bird by Bird by Anne Lamott
Counting on Grace by Elizabeth Winthrop
Each Little Bird that Sings by Deborah Wiles
Elvis and the Dearly Departed by Peggy Webb
The Girl Who Stopped Swimming by Joshilyn Jackson
The Noticer by Andy Andrews
Tar Baby by Toni Morrison
Velva Jean Learns to Drive by Jennifer Niven
Zelda by Nancy Milford

In July...

I was the photographer for VBS
Uncle Greg was diagnosed with cancer
I saw Wicked with Rosemary and Mary Payne
Uncle Greg accepted Christ
I took Abby and SK to SLI
I went to the midnight premiere of Harry Potter with the fab Kimmi-Pooh
Worked with Common Ground in Montgomery, AL
Took the boys to Edventure with Mom and Wayne
Published in the book Everyday Musings

And I Read...

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll
Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Carroll
Annie Freeman's Fabulous Traveling Funeral by Kris Radish
Love, Ruby Lavender by Deborah Wiles
My One Hundred Adventures by Polly Horvath
Perfection by Julie Metz
Poemcrazy by Susan G Wooldridge
Sweeping Up Glass by Carolyn Wall

In August...

My sister got a promotion
Uncle Greg left this world in a whirl of prayer and scripture
I studied Heaven by Randy Alcorn
I gave a sermon at my home church
A local boy was killed
I reread Revelation

And I Read...

Abide with Me by Elizabeth Strout
Amy and Isabelle by Elizabeth Strout
The Chosen by Chaim Potok (reread)
Cold Tangerines by Shauna Niequist
The Other Boleyn Girl by Philippa Gregory
The Queen's Fool by Philippa Gregory
A Single Shard by Linda Sue Park
The Spirit of Sweetgrass by Nicole Seitz

In September...

My brother was hospitalized and I worried a lot
Corey lead worship at The Pointe
Spent time with girlfriends
Had tonsilitis
Found out I am being considered for a Featured Poet spot
Started a spending fast
Took Haydn to his first Pack meeting (Cub Scouts)
I was given the chance to teach Creative Writing

And I Read...

Best Friends Forever by Jennifer Weiner
The Other Queen by Philippa Gregory
Out of the Silent Planet by C. S. Lewis
Perelandra by C. S. Lewis
The Virgin's Lover by Philippa Gregory
You Were Always Mom's Favorite by Deborah Tannen

In October...

I was excited to find out Jennifer Knapp is back
I spent a lot of time in my "writing cubby" at church
We had dinner with the Shepherds and had a lovely evening
Drove to Brandon to be with a friend at a rough time
Edited Corey's midterms

And I Read...

Faith, Hope and Ivy June by Phyllis Reynolds Naylor
The Girl with Glass Feet by Ali Shaw (Best book I read ALL YEAR)
Just Listen by Sarah Dessen
Lock and Key by Sarah Dessen
Love, Aubrey by Suzanne LeFleur
Poetry Matters by Ralph Fletcher
Reflections of a Mississippi Magnolia by Patricial Neely-Dorsey
The Shack by William P. Young
We are All Welcome Here by Elizabeth Berg

In November...

Granddaddy was hospitalized
The boys took a painting class at Main ARTery
I saw Where the Wild Things Are with Corey and the boys
I completely reorganized my bookshelf
I saw a play at TCT with Meredith
The boys and I went with Corey on the Winter Retreat
We spent Thanksgiving in Brandon with Amanda's family

And I Read...

That Hideous Strength by C. S. Lewis
Mudhouse Sabbath by Lauren Winner (reread)
The Devil in the Junior League by Linda Francis Lee
Rape: A Love Story by Joyce Carol Oates
I Know This Much is True by Wally Lamb

In December...

We had a great visit with Savannah
We prayed hard for a friend in a coma (Come on, Andi, you can do this!)
I had a poem published on This Fabulous Blog
Corey and I got to hang out with Scott and Mandy
And Mandy painted me a SWEET owl
I got a root canal
I went to a few Christmas parties
I taught poetry in Haydn's class
I read Shel Silverstein to Aimee's class

And I Read...

Matters of the Spirit by Danny McKenzie
Coming Home by Rosamunde Pilcher
The Way of the Mystics by John Michael Talbot
Unfinished Desires by Gail Godwin
The Patience Stone by Atiq Rahimi

4 comments:

  1. What a fun recap. :) Happy New Year, Heather!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What is required in order to have Jesus ABIDE in us and we in Him?

    Can we do it:
    1. By accepting Him as our our own personal Lord and Savior ?
    No. Where does the Bible say that?

    2. By the grace of GOD only? Sola Gracias?
    No. Where does the Bible say that?

    3. By faith in GOD alone? Sola Fides?
    No. Where does the Bible say that?

    It is simple common sense that since He commanded that we must do something, then doesn't it stand to reason that He would also tell us how to do it?

    Jesus was very clear in what we must do in order to have Him ABIDE in us and we in Him.

    Jesus left this command for us in John 6:53-57:

    53 "Truly, truly, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of man and drink his blood, you have no life in you (the taken away branch);

    54 he who eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day. 55 For my flesh is food indeed, and my blood is drink indeed.

    56 HE WHO EATS MY FLESH AND DRINKS MY BLOOD ABIDES IN ME, AND I IN HIM.

    57 As the living Father sent me, and I live because of the Father, so he who eats me will live because of me."

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was wonderful, beautiful. I love how you show literature is actually part of the fabric of life. Thanks for letting The Spirit of Sweetgrass be a part of your year. Many blessings for next. Nicole

    ReplyDelete

Leave me some lovin'!

Disqus for Madame Rubies