Sunday, December 6, 2009

30 Days of Gratitude - Themes

I think I heard of themes from Dana.  The first year that I chose a theme over resolutions was the Year of Freedom.  And, I did choose that one.  I was struggling with some personal issues that I wanted to leave behind.  That was a wild ride.  2005 was the Year of Freedom, and it was an amazing (though also tough) experience.  2006 was the Year of Contentment.  I don't remember how that one came to me or if I chose it.  I remember a verse I had on an index card in my kitchen, back then, that said something about praying for just enough food to eat and not to be rich.  That year really challenged my ability to be content, regardless of where God called us.  It was a good experience.

2007 was the Year of Purpose and Vision.  I was sure this meant I would find my dream career.  I did end up with a full-time job by December, but what the year really showed me was that God had a purpse and a vision for my future and I needed to rely on Him instead of myself. 2008 was the Year of Laughter and Possibilities, and it was certainly full of both.  My closest friendships truly solidified that year and I found my children growing into real little people that I greatly enjoyed laughing with. 

By the end of 2008, we had made the move to Tupelo and I was in a new church, struggling to make new friendships and find my place.  As clearly as if a voice had spoken aloud, I heard the word, "Patience," while sitting in an Advent service listening to Raigan preach.  I must admit, this was the first theme I found terrifying.  Contentment was a pretty daunting challenge, but Patience?  Patience made me shiver. 

And what a year it has been.  I thought the word patience was intended for my relationship with my children and my need for friendships, etc...  Though I have learned valuable lessons in both areas, it was a totally different situation that ended up requiring every drop of patience my family could manage, this year.  I was hoping 2010 would be the Year of Fullfilment and God would reward us for our patience, but He has other ideas.  We will keep being patient and we will see our family made whole... in His time.

Soon, I will blog about my theme for 2010.  It's another scary one.

Heather

1 comment:

  1. I love discussing annual themes with you. Can't wait to see how God plays this one out for you! and I'm still waiting for a theme, or not, for myself.

    ReplyDelete

Leave me some lovin'!

Disqus for Madame Rubies