Thursday, December 31, 2009

2010: Year of Trust

Sometimes, my themes can be a warning before the year begins.  For instance, when I realized 2009 would be themed "Patience."  I was more than a little bit afraid.  An impulsive dreamer doesn't want to be told, "By the way, the next year is going to be long, and you will need to be patient because everything will move slowly and you'll do a lot of the Hurry-Up-and-Wait-dance."  And, yes, this proved to be true for 2009.  Between my children, my writing, and other things, I needed a lot of patience. 

A theme can also be a lens for looking at events in a new year. When the going got tough in 2009, I tried to see "How can this situation teach me patience?"  Looking at each obstacle through the lens of patience helped me to BE patient. 

2010 is the Year of Trust. Usually, I get a word and then stumble onto a verse that fits with my theme.  This year, I got the verse first and then the word followed.  I was reading a blog from one of my writing students at Main ARTery (Thanks Kay!) and came upon this verse:

Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego replied to the king, "O Nebuchadnezzar, we do not need to defend ourselves before you in this matter. If we are thrown into the blazing furnace, the God we serve is able to save us from it, and he will rescue us from your hand, O king. But even if he does not, we want you to know, O king, that we will not serve your gods or worship the image of gold you have set up."  Daniel 3:16-18

What stood out to me was "even if he does not."  It was like a punch in the gut.  I have talked a lot about having faith in God, but have I ever considered how I would feel if He did NOT do the things I think he is going to do.  Can I trust Him even if He isn't following MY gameplan?

Natalie once posted a verse that convicted me, similarly:

Though he slay me, yet will I hope in him... Job 13:15

And so followed the word: Trust. 

Can I trust Him? 

Well, 2010 is on my doorstep, and I suppose it is about time I find out.

Heather

2 comments:

  1. scary indeed--but I think you will be blown away by what He is waiting to do.

    ReplyDelete

Leave me some lovin'!

Disqus for Madame Rubies