Sunday, November 29, 2009

30 Days of Gratitude - Advent

This year, I am making a concerted effort NOT to be a Scrooge.  I am purposely shifting my focus from commercialized Christmas issues to Advent.  I would like to experience this as a season of expectancy.  Advent as Pregnancy...  being pregnant with Hope.  I always love ruminating on Mary at this time of the year.

For 2009, I am going to step back and look at the ways God is working in my life and the lives of my family and friends.  I am going to be open to what is coming.

Today is the first day of Advent.  Andy preached a wonderful sermon. I scribbled notes while he talked, because images and phrases were overwhelming me.  I am sure, for instance, there is a poem about water coming soon.  I have a list of water symbols in my notebook. (This due to an amazingly beautiful infant baptism).  I also wrote down...

  • "Divine Disruption"
  • "fearsome and cataclysmic events"
  • "A dead false god will never surprise you."
  • "Disruption can be good. Disruption can bring some sense of hope."
  • "God comes in the middle of all this chaos in life."

I cannot stop the chaos that is Christmas in the Ministry.  But, I can remember to "be still and know" in the midst of all the chaos.  I will go to about 5 billion parties, play Dirty Santa, sing carols, watch cantatas, make crafts, write cards, wrap presents, travel to see family, and I will take time to remember why I am doing each and every one of these activities.

Now, hold me to it.

Heather

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me some lovin'!

Disqus for Madame Rubies