Saturday, March 21, 2009

Things That Make Me Feel Old

1. Haydn will turn 7 on Sunday. SEVEN! Seriously?

2. I am teaching Sunday School in the church I grew up in tomorrow. The lesson is from Isaiah. I keep flashing to Jesus reading from Isaiah in His home temple. Except, ya know, I'm not exactly the Messiah.

3. I am going to a baby shower today for Ashley, a girl I have been friends with almost all of our lives. We met when I was 6 and she was 3 (over 20 years ago). She sang in my wedding and I wrote a poem for hers (though Hurricane Katrina grounded my flights and kept me from attending). We obsessed over NKOTB together and fought over who got to marry Zack from Saved by the Bell. I got to pray over her sweet baby belly, Thursday.

4. Weds morning, Rebecca and I sat on her front porch, watching my boys run and play. Her kids were in school. We talked about what all the people we have known for years are up to now and wondered what made us grow up when we had babies when so many others have not. We discussed husbands and jobs and pets and education for our children. Rebecca and I used to keep a notebook full of baby names we liked. Now, we have the babies for a few of those names.

5. Kimmi is graduating from USC on May 9th. She will be a teacher. Her little girl is two-and-a-half now. Evie looks just like Kimmi, in my opinion. She is beautiful like her Mommy. When I met Kimmi, in 8th grade, I idolized her. Here we are, 14 years later, still friends. This amazes me.

6. Last Sunday night, Kim Willis picked me up and we went out for Lebanese food. When Kim and I were first friends, it was her who took me to the church where I accepted Christ and was baptized. We have many different beliefs now and - thank goodness - have left the self-righteousness of teen years behind. Sunday was the first we saw each other in almost 10 years, after a "falling out" when I got married. God is a God of reconciliation. I am glad He is. It was good to see Kim.

This list could go on, I am sure, but I am going to go watch the boys play Wii and maybe take a walk.

1 comment:

  1. Reading that Haydn will be 7 tomorrow makes me feel old too. I held that little boy the day after he was born.

    ReplyDelete

Leave me some lovin'!

Disqus for Madame Rubies