Thursday, March 5, 2009

No Books - ONE WEEK

Yesterday marked a full week without touching a single novel, without curling up on the couch with a book when there were 5 billion other things I should have been doing and without ignoring my kids in the carpool line because my book was more interesting. Amazingly, I am still in one piece. No nervous breakdowns and no trying to justify why I should be able to read for a little while "just this once." *sigh of relief*

Only, what? 33 days to go? Except, Sundays aren't counted in the 40, but I am not reading on those days either, so I guess this is longer than a 40 day fast. Do I get extra credit for that, God?

Wednesday is a bit of a crazy day, at the best of times, so not reading yesterday was helpful time-wise. I got a lot of image-searching done for Media Team. I hung out with Renee after our meeting, and we looked for movies and talked. I enjoyed that. I often turn down things like that and read instead. It never occurred to me how often until this past week. I will shy away from a social activity and stay home with my book instead. This is helpful sometimes, because it is certainly easier on our bank account if I spend the evening at home reading than if I go to a movie with a girlfriend. But I am actually making friends here, and building relationships takes time and effort. I am excited that, on Tuesday, Rebecca and I are getting together to bake our Purim cookies.

I read the Bible for a long time, yesterday, when I would normally have been reading a novel. In Disciple, we read about Abraham, Isaac and Jacob this week. Lots of thought about God's timing and provision, and how the stories in our scripture went from oral traditions to the written word. Trying to imagine fathers and sons, mothers and daughters, passing the tales down from generation to generation. Very fun.

I took my hubby lunch yesterday. I talked to friends. I folded some laundry. I read my Bible. I caught up on the Esther study. I sat in the quiet.

It was a good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me some lovin'!

Disqus for Madame Rubies