Friday, January 16, 2009

The Kind of Voice I'd Like to Take a Nap in

I picked up The Four Loves by C. S. Lewis at the library. This is the audio version that he made himself, reading from his rough draft. I believe they said he recorded it 5 years before his death. I am in love with the man's voice. It has that gentlemanly British accent, and also a sort of grandfatherly humor. I can't quite explain it, except that I want to wrap it around me and take a cozy nap on a rainy day. I am enjoying the book, but - in all honesty - he could be reading a math text and I would enjoy it. That may be the ONLY way I could ever enjoy math. LOL!

I am on part 2, where he discusses Philos. I am excited because his thoughts on friendship are seemingly identical to mine. I have often tried to express how I think we have jilted the love of friendship in our modern culture. Our spirits will flourish within an intimate friendship, but if we find such a friend, people often consider it inappropriate. As though 2 women cannot be friends without also being lovers. He speaks of the stance of lovers being facing one another and the stance of friends being said by side, facing forward together.

If you ever get a chance to hear C. S. Lewis speak, take it.

Heather

1 comment:

  1. i love your title for this post "the kind of voice i'd like to take a nap in" - i LOVE that! :)

    ReplyDelete

Leave me some lovin'!

Disqus for Madame Rubies