Sunday, January 11, 2009

99 Powerful Questions (5-15)

5. Do I take the time to really listen to what others say? Yes. No. When reading Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert, I was very convicted about my inability to listen. I have, over the last year, made a concerted effort to be a better listener. I am still not the greatest. When I get excited or passionate about something, I interrupt and talk fast.

6. Do I have fun? Not as much as I would like to. Over the last couple of years, my girlfriends and I have had so much fun together. They taught me what true intimate friendship can be and, with that, came so much laughter and relaxation. But, I don't have nearly as much fun in Tupelo. Not Tupelo's fault. I just haven't settled in enough yet.

7. How can I bring more joy into my life? By having more patience. If I could just relax and let life happen more often, I would be a much more joyful person.

8. What do I want more of in my life? More time with girlfriends, more sense of purpose and motivation, more peace of mind...

9. What do I want less of in my life? Less guilt. Less loneliness. Less materialism and vanity.

10. Am I on the look out for opportunities? Lately, yes, I am. Opportunities to be more who Christ created me to be. Opportunities to use my giftings. Opportunities to laugh.

11. Do I seize opportunities? Yes and no. For the first bit of time we lived here, I was isolating myself. I am getting better about this. I am going off meds, joining a gym, helping with Media Team, teaching a small group and taking part in two adult Bible studies. I recited a poem in church today. I took myself to a movie, last night. I wrote a poem in the waiting room of the doctor's office.

12. Am I open-minded? Am I flexible? I consider myself an open-minded person, though there are issues I cannot budge on. I try not to be judgmental, even when I am closed to other options for myself. I am flexible in some areas and not others. Some things, I need to be more flexible on. I need to be a much more flexible wife and mother.

13. Am I quick to judge others? Compared to five years ago, I am not. But I know there are people I do judge too quickly. This will always be a battle worth fighting.

14. Do I take calculated risks? Hmm... Yes.

15. Do I give others sincere compliments? This one, I do. I do this often. I try to always find some way to genuinely compliment others. I look for good.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me some lovin'!

Disqus for Madame Rubies